• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum. If your question is about the unusual color of your nickel, it is most likely caused by environmental damage or damage from extreme heat.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post clear photos of both sides of a coin about which you have questions, and please indicate just what it is that you would like to know. By "cropped", I mean that each image should show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin.  

Assuming that you are inquiring about the cause of the reddish or brownish color of this Jefferson nickel, I concur that this is likely due to environmental exposure or damage. U.S. nickels are composed of an alloy of 75% copper and only 25% nickel, and they can darken to such colors by being buried in the ground or being exposed to a variety of chemicals.

Hello and welcome!

The instructions for posting are clear and easily understandable. Please provide clear, fully cropped photos of both sides of the coin along with a question.

I cannot give an opinion based upon the photos provided.