• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Mint Mark - 1979 Susan B. Anthony
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello. I came across this coin with an indistinguishable mint mark. My loupe is not great. Of a D,P or S my guess is that maybe it was supposed to be an S, but is just a blob. These pic aren't very good, but you get the idea. I'm not sure if I have something special?

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Notwithstanding the blurry and uncropped photos, I think that your SBA dollar is a 1979-S, of which over 109.5 million were struck for circulation. It's nothing special and is worth face value as a circulated coin. The "S" die punch had been in use for many years, and the mintmark often resembles a blob.  It was replaced with a clearer "S" for some proof coins of 1979 and for all "S" mint coins in 1980.

In the future, please try to provide better focused photos and crop them so that they show as little of the surface surrounding the coin as possible.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, CalebMaurice said:

Hello. I came across this coin with an indistinguishable mint mark. My loupe is not great. Of a D,P or S my guess is that maybe it was supposed to be an S, but is just a blob. These pic aren't very good, but you get the idea. I'm not sure if I have something special?

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Welcome to the world of SBA dollars struck in San Francisco in 1979. “Blob” is a correct description of ALMOST all of them, including the vast majority of proofs struck that year. Why the low quality? Well, it WAS the Carter Administration. 

Edited by VKurtB

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I simply cannot provide comment on your coin based on the uncropped and too blurry photos. I don't want to jump on the S bandwagon when it could be a filled D from a broken post. The photos are too far away and too blurry for me to be able to tell.