• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seen Better Days
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hello to the "all knowing"

Looking for feedback on this haggard old timer coin on whether the markings are damage from minting or other. On front cavity across the left lapel and on back the line through "ONE". Asking on a vote to cull or sell? I acknowledge it is seen better days but got to look at them all.  

Thanks for looking and feedback is welcome

Beatup2.thumb.jpg.619ce19568648c3343d5f47eb4c7770f.jpgBeatup1.thumb.jpg.c4fff944bcc2c7e1cc04a34b294a0305.jpg

This 1956-D cent is just severely corroded. Copper is a chemically active metal and will develop this roughness and pitting including the deep cavities on this coin from being buried in the ground, especially in a damp environment, or from exposure to other unfavorable environments or substances. 

Despite their difference in age, this cent's surfaces resemble those on this "filler" 1794 (Head of 1793) large cent, also likely a "ground find":

1794Headof93Centobv..thumb.jpg.e49912f8d9d01635bd9f65d1fa554d71.jpg

1794Headof93Centrev..thumb.jpg.129c39c3144ab4c166f036203e3a2c53.jpg

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.

Your Lincoln Wheat cent is environmentally damaged from loss and find, poor storage practices, or circulation abuse, or possibly a combination of all three. It is cull. As noted by @Sandon, any copper coins not properly handled or stored will develop corrosion like this over time. Copper is not as forgiving a metal as is silver or gold and is much more susceptible to corrosion than the two latter. I have a lot of early 1800s copper half and large cents which sadly have environmental damage and corrosion issues. It is difficult to find these cents from this era without these types of issues.

Edited by powermad5000

🐓:  With your leave, your Honor, I should like to cross-examine the witness.

Judge *****, presiding:  Go right ahead, counselor!

🐓:  Good afternoon, sir!  Would it be safe to assume you have never before encountered the various types of damage as exhibited rather prominently by this type of coin in the 50-plus years it has been in circulation?  I ask because it appears from your query that, however unlikely, you appear to entertain the possibility such damage, may have occurred at a U.S. Mint facility one day in 1956.  Would you be able to refer those who are not "all-knowing," to an example you may have seen in someone's collection or brought to your attention in published literature, a Reporter or a website?  As a matter of intellectual curiosity, I should like to know what such a relic would realistically command at auction and whether you feel same is worthy of being enshrined in an encapsulation?

No further questions, your Honor.  Your witness.

Judge *****,  This matter is adjourned until 9:30 tomorrow morning, sharp! 

[Q.A.:  Say, Ricky (🐓) that was an impressive display of oratorical skill... What law school did you intend?

🐓  :  Law school?  I read Jerry Rosenberg's law books when I was his protege up at Auburn!]

(Posted at the sole discretion of NGC Moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Postscript die polishing.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

YOU ARE A GOOD SPORT AND WELL-SUITED FOR THIS FORUM WHERE MANY MEMBERS REGARD MATTERS LIKE THIS AS THOUGH IT WERE A LIFE OR DEATH MATTER.

SURELY YOU CANNOT EXPECT ME OR ANYONE ELSE TO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN EXACTLY WHAT GOES ON INSIDE A ROOSTER'S HEAD.  :roflmao:

TO YOUR CREDIT, WITH THE DISPLAY OF THE AD I ASSUME WAS PLACED ON EBAY, WE HAVE LEARNED TWO THINGS: NEITHER YOUR LHC NOR THE SELLER'S HALF CENT LEFT THE MINT IN THEIR RESPECTIVE DEPLORABLE CONDITIONS.  THIS IS WHAT YOUR "ALL-KNOWING" CROWD KNOWS INSTINCTIVELY: BOTH COINS EXHIBIT THE EPITOME OF POST-MINT DAMAGE.

AS YOU ARE UNDOUBTEDLY AWARE, SELLERS ARE FREE TO SELL THEIR WARES FOR WHATEVER THE MARKET  WILL BEAR.  YOUR CENT IS WORTH ITS COPPER-MELT VALUE. (THE PUBLIC DISPLAY OF A U.S. FLAG IN THE CONDITION EXEMPLIFIED BY THE HALF-CENT WOULD BE A MAJOR BREACH OF ETIQUETTE.) MALHEUREUSEMENT, THIS COURTESY DOES NOT EXTEND TO MANGLED MONEY. I WILL LEAVE TO OUR RESIDENT EXPERTS WHETHER THE HALF-CENT WAS TRULY WORTH THE ASKING PRICE.  (I ASSUME THE BUYER'S MOTIVE WAS TO SIMPLY FILL A HOLE IN AN ALBUM.)

IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR AGE AND BUDGET, I WOULD URGE YOU TO SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A COIN YOU CAN BE TRULY BE PROUD TO OWN THAT WILL NOT REQUIRE A DEFENSIVE EXPLANATION AS TO WHAT WOULD PROMPT SOMEONE TO MAKE A PURCHASE LIKE THAT.  YOU DODGED A BULLET. NOW TAKE THE MONEY YOU WOULD HAVE SQUANDERED ON THAT COIN AND SET YOUR SIGHTS HIGHER ON A REAL GEM WHICH WILL APPRECIATE IN VALUE AND GIVE YOU AND YOUR HEIRS YEARS OF ENJOYMENT TO COME!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

On 4/21/2024 at 11:56 AM, rrantique said:

PICA0015-Copy.thumb.jpg.09347bd6103042dc53d5a6a05bdce466.jpgPICA0001-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.fede5b27a985538ff52f89221fcd805a.jpg

(Sorry, I'd love to comment but can't with Pistol Pete watching my every move!) 🤣 

On 4/21/2024 at 12:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

(Sorry, I'd love to comment but can't with Pistol Pete watching my every move!) 🤣 

That's  Sam (Yosemite Sam)7668.thumb.gif.7577e61666ac4f4ec98099ea9da19ce9.gif.d12e588ecd8478480ea3208c44f857f4.gif:roflmao: