• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 1884-o morgan
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Not sure about the mint mark and why the leafs or not attached to the wreath,  any help would be appreciated.  It graded by NGC MS 64. THANKS !

20240415_213940.jpg

20240415_213919.jpg

20240415_213856.jpg

20240415_214013.jpg

20240415_214028.jpg

Edited by Wayboy34
Posting ob /rev

The die was over-polished during normal repair, that acc9unts for the floating leaves. The mintmark is damaged in the center so the "O" looks filled.

(In future, please post photos not these awful screen grabs.)

SOMEBODY sure is getting rich selling these verkakte USB small screen microscopes, aren’t they? Wow!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

When posting a question about a specific coin, please be sure to lead with a photo of the obverse and a photo of the reverse, the entire coin, fully cropped. There may be things we need to see that tie in to your question. While I agree with @RWB regarding the floating leaves, I do think the filled O happened from a die chip. I would like to see the full photos of the coin to be able to say confidently however.

Yes, I should have been clearer. A die chip in the center of the mintmark would cause the "O" to be partially or completely filled on the coin.

On 4/16/2024 at 5:29 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

When posting a question about a specific coin, please be sure to lead with a photo of the obverse and a photo of the reverse, the entire coin, fully cropped. There may be things we need to see that tie in to your question. While I agree with @RWB regarding the floating leaves, I do think the filled O happened from a die chip. I would like to see the full photos of the coin to be able to say 

Your photos should be cropped as follows to just show the coin, not the holder and surrounding surface. The resolution would be better if the original photos had been taken closer and with the camera directly overhead.

image.png.68da7d9c377ec2333def8d0e1925966a.png

image.png.12ad7dc09ffef69bfb4bb33955fb96a1.png

Your coin has an oval "O" of the style used on most New Orleans mint Morgan dollars from 1879-1884.  A rounder "O" appears on a sizeable minority of 1884-Os and the vast majority of New Orleans mint Morgan dollars from 1885-1904.  The oval "O" only reappears on a small minority of coins dated 1888 and 1889. (A "micro O" appears on many 1880-Os and a minority of 1899-Os).

It is not unusual for the oval "O" to be at least partly filled, especially on coins dated 1884. While this could be due to die chips or foreign matter in the die, it may also be due to the mint mark punch wearing out, which could be an explanation for the rounder "O" punch being introduced in 1884.  It is also not unusual for some of the leaves and other features on Morgan dollars of high mintage issues such as the 1884-O to have been partly polished out of the die.  The dies may have been repolished to remove evidence of die clashes or other damage during production.

The VAM world Morgan dollar die variety site lists numerous (numerical) varieties and several (alphabetical) die states for 1884-Os, though none is described in the catalog specifically by a filled "O" or overpolished leaves. http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1884-O_VAMs. You may be able to determine the VAM variety of your coin by going through the specific descriptions and photos of the various varieties, but it does not appear to be one of the more sought-after varieties, which are usually referred to as the "Top 100", "Hot 50", or "Hit List 40". 

The additional pics were helpful. I don't think I need to elaborate more as the reply from @Sandon covers much more than I would have delved into.

Also I noted, the back of the slab looks like it is covered with some ick. It would probably be good to clean that off.