• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Penny
1 1

9 posts in this topic

It is a very common Large Date 1982-D cent. 

Nothing really to think about. It is just a regular 1982D copper Large Date    
that had hundreds of millions minted. Worth 1 cent in that condition.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:57 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

I believe you were hoping this might be a copper cent?

It is copper (95% copper, 5% zinc) as indicated by its weight, assuming that the scale is accurate. The problem is that it is a Large Date.  Of all the varieties of 1982 cents only the 1982-D Small Date copper, which was not intentionally coined, and of which only two have been found, is valuable. Most of the over 6 billion 1982-D cents minted are of the Large Date, copper variety, and the OP's circulated example does not exhibit an error of any type and has no collector value. The OP has nevertheless asked this same question on the Ask NGC/NCS forum and received the stock answer to the effect that if he wants the coin evaluated he must submit it and pay the fees and other costs.

To the OP--Please study the following graphic, which will confirm that your coin is a common Large Date:

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Note particularly the differences in distance of the "2" to the rim and that the upper loop of the "8" on your coin is nearly as large as the lower loop. If you still want to spend a great deal of money to have a coin worth face value encapsulated in a grading service holder, that is your choice. The money you would save would be better spent on books and subscriptions that would enable you to evaluate coins yourself, including those (some free) identified on the following forum topics:

On 4/18/2024 at 3:04 PM, Sandon said:

It is copper (95% copper, 5% zinc) as indicated by its weight, assuming that the scale is accurate. The problem is that it is a Large Date.  Of all the varieties of 1982 cents only the 1982-D Small Date copper, which was not intentionally coined, and of which only two have been found, is valuable. Most of the over 6 billion 1982-D cents minted are of the Large Date, copper variety, and the OP's circulated example does not exhibit an error of any type and has no collector value. The OP has nevertheless asked this same question on the Ask NGC/NCS forum and received the stock answer to the effect that if he wants the coin evaluated he must submit it and pay the fees and other costs.

Oh, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. :baiting: I was under the impression that a copper planchet alone in 1982 was the error. Whoops. :)

On 4/18/2024 at 3:21 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Oh, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. :baiting: I was under the impression that a copper planchet alone in 1982 was the error. Whoops. :)

Stick around here. You will learn a lot! I enjoy learning here.