• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on identifying a 1956 Indian half rupee.
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello again, this time, I need some info on a coin (a 1956 Indian half rupee). I obtained from my Aunt just recently and I have some questions I'm hoping you guys could answer. 

First and foremost, is this coin authentic? I assume it is because it isn't that old, and as far as I am aware it isn't that valuable, but I have to ask. 

Second, any help concerning it's grade, mint, and value would be appreciated.

Here are some photos:

FOURMSEDIT1.thumb.jpg.f3de6bbd1a15b7dbe2a3d53ca02ab464.jpgEDIT2.thumb.jpg.c64bcb946196b1d20b1b482f12bb61e8.jpg

Thank you in advance. =)

Well, it seems you have already identified this coin correctly. Here is a link to it on Numista which has the weight, diameter, and thickness. There is a variety in the series for large lion and small lion but I don't see a designation for a difference in the lion for the year of your coin but if there is yours is the small lion. As for which mint it was made at, I am not sure as I don't see a mintmark or small dot on it. According to Numista, this coin in AU is listed for $8. In my humble opinion, your coin exhibits some very light circulation wear so I would put it at that grade level and approximate value.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7178.html

It is nearly impossible to tell if a coin is counterfeit from just a photo unless it is a very poor counterfeit with missing or altered details. Outside of that, it takes the coin being in hand to check weights, diameter, thickness, and if necessary tests to confirm its metal composition. I hope what I have provided you with the Numista link helps in your checking of these facts to determine its authenticity. I would guess you have less to worry about as this is not a typical target of counterfeiters although in these days you never know what someone will do next.

I hope this helps.

Edited by powermad5000
additional details

On 4/14/2024 at 4:05 PM, powermad5000 said:

Well, it seems you have already identified this coin correctly. Here is a link to it on Numista which has the weight, diameter, and thickness. There is a variety in the series for large lion and small lion but I don't see a designation for a difference in the lion for the year of your coin but if there is yours is the small lion. As for which mint it was made at, I am not sure as I don't see a mintmark or small dot on it. According to Numista, this coin in AU is listed for $8. In my humble opinion, your coin exhibits some very light circulation wear so I would put it at that grade level and approximate value.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7178.html

It is nearly impossible to tell if a coin is counterfeit from just a photo unless it is a very poor counterfeit with missing or altered details. Outside of that, it takes the coin being in hand to check weights, diameter, thickness, and if necessary tests to confirm its metal composition. I hope what I have provided you with the Numista link helps in your checking of these facts to determine its authenticity. I would guess you have less to worry about as this is not a typical target of counterfeiters although in these days you never know what someone will do next.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much, the link was insightful. I really don't know anything about foreign coins, so I will use Numista for my future questions. Thanks again!