• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel error?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

What type of error do you think that may be. All I see is a die chip between even the last column and the F.   
Always show a complete photo of both sides of the coin along with a 10X closeup of your area of concern.  
Your closeup is way too magnified to get a good perspective of any problem.

You really do need to provide photos of the entire coin for us to evaluate it properly.  I think that what your closeup shows is simply the base of the steps at the right side of the building on the current (2006 to date) version of the Jefferson nickel, which is more deeply engraved than the steps themselves.  Here is a closeup of the same area on a 2008-S proof nickel, where you can see the same deeper line at the base:

image.png.c81e699ce3b56d87f4c03ce7248e472b.png

The arrow in your photo is pointing at the small set of steps on the right side of Monticello. I also see the die chip between the building and the F of FS. Could you elaborate a little on what I am supposed to be focusing on?

Edited by powermad5000