• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique / Odd 1981 Dime
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello

I started exploring my parents old collection and came acrost a 1981 D dime that has blotches of copper color on both the front and the back. Also when weighed the coin was at 1.35 grams which from what I know about dime weight is about a gram light. All of the stampiing words appear to be robust only not clad silver in spots. I would be interested in getting your take on this coin. Thanks for looking.

Dime Weight.jpg

20240410_195555.jpg

20240410_195611.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I'm sorry, but from what I can see in your photos, it appears that your coin has been damaged by immersion in acid that ate off much of its outer clad layers and reduced its weight.  See https://www.error-ref.com/acid-shrunk-coins/. Although there are clad coins that were struck from blanks that lacked a portion of an outer cladding layer, the partial cladding would likely only be on one side, and the coin would not be this underweight or have a rough surface. Compare https://www.error-ref.com/?s=partial+cladding+layer.

In the future, please try to crop your photos so that they give us a better view of the coin and don't show much of the surrounding surface and orient them in an upright position.

Your coin has developed hypopigmentation due to a bad case of "die surface eczema." This can be cured with our special all natural composition of natural ingredients from all natural sources including natural vitamin D, natural donkey sweat, and other healthy natural ingredients mixed in a gentle emulsion of bath tub scum and all natural roadkill extract. A large, family-size bottle is only $2,995 for a one-month supply. We guarantee your dime will be cured in 6-months or your money cheerfully refunded -- (if you can find us...)

;)

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think your coin may be acid reduced, but if you could, would you mind posting it next to any regular cash register change circulation dime? Also maybe put the normal dime under yours and take a picture of that too, so we can see if there is a noticeable difference in size?

The fact that the rims have almost disappeared indicates that it has been attacked by acid.  
which naturally reduces the weight.   
Cropping and rotating your pictures would also help. We don’t need all that background, just the coin.

Hello and thank for the comments and input. I am attaching addition pictures without the busy background (sorry about that). I included one where the odd coin is laying on top of another 1981 dime and you can see the rim if the underneath coin which means the odd coin is undersized which also explains the low weight. I too thought it was attacked by some sort of acid but there are still edge ribs but the randomness of the missing clad made me think it could be something else. Regardless I do appreciate the feedback from everyone even the one saying coin needed ointment. LOL

StackedJust CoinTails

Stacked                                                                                        Front                                                                                               Tails

ComparedEdge

Compare                                                                                                   Edge

Thank you for the additional photos. I think they confirm that the discolored dime is an acid reduced coin. The acid attacks the metal evenly so acid reduced coins will likely still have their edge reeding albeit weaker reeding than when the coin was initially struck.

Depending on how the coin was laying and how long it sat in the acid can cause that spotty look. This coin probably didn't sit in the acid bath as long as some of the others we have seen here where the clad layer is completely missing on both sides and the reeding is almost nonexistent.

Edited by powermad5000

On 4/13/2024 at 2:15 AM, powermad5000 said:

I think your coin may be acid reduced,

Well, that is cheaper than Ozempic. How much did the dime lose? Were there side effects? (or front, back or top effects....can you add beans and get sound effects?)

Sorry -- Last slept Sat afternoon. Jet lag can get nasty.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, RWB said:

How much did the dime lose?

It lost some weight, but it still needs a tummy tuck. Or Sonobello. xD