• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie has an error question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I am trying to find information on this indian head possible error, google hasnt helped much. Is this an error or some kind of damage? I dont see any file marks, thats what gets me. Any info and/or opinions appreciated. Thanks

CM240404-215050002.jpg

20240405_031742.jpg

20240405_031846.jpg

CM240404-215155004.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is clearly damage. Based on the photos, it appears that someone drilled or punched a hole into this 1936 Buffalo nickel and then filled the hole with glue or some other reddish substance.  Soaking the coin in acetone might remove this substance, though a holed common date coin would be of little value.

On 4/10/2024 at 8:18 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

One of the worst cases of Native American Conjunctivitis and Bison Syphilis this collector has seen.  

Lol, my Ole lady said it was a case of pinkeye and chaffed thighs

On 4/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This is clearly damage. Based on the photos, it appears that someone drilled or punched a hole into this 1936 Buffalo nickel and then filled the hole with glue or some other reddish substance.  Soaking the coin in acetone might remove this substance, though a holed common date coin would be of little value.

Thanks, I might have to unclog it and make a lure out of it, damn shame lol

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Well, this is an entertaining thread! xD

As for the coin, maybe you could fashion it into a slip sinker for fishing. Who knows, maybe this tragedy in the numismatic world can be turned into a record catch in the angling world.