• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972-S Eisenhower in OGP that has any type of damage

10 posts in this topic

It seems like my 1972-S Eisenhower in OGP that was graded by NGC - now has some form of markings on the coin that was not there when initially graded.  Does anyone else have similar problem with any of their Ike's that are graded in the OGP?  My 1971-S Ike's were taken out of the OGP, professionally cleaned by NGC and graded and then encapsulated.  Supposedly when the US Mint started with producing the Ike's, they used some kind of liquid to clean the planchets - hence a lot of the 1971-S Ike's in the OGP had a haze on the coins.  I'm wondering if something similar is happening to the 1972-S Ike's?  

Edited by Robert Sieger
Added photo

Is the marking different from the normal haze and blue toning that is sometimes seen on these coins?

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  Please note that the NGC Registry forum is for questions relating specifically to the registry. Your topic would receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum.  

Without photos, preferably of the full obverse and reverse of the coin, it really isn't possible for us to understand what the "markings" to which you are referring look like. I don't even know whether your 1972-S Eisenhower dollar is the proof or uncirculated version. I'm unclear as to whether you're referring to a single 1972-S or to a 1971-S as well.

The proofs that came in brown boxes and hard plastic holders of all dates from 1971-74 often developed a bluish, whitish or yellowish haze, and the uncirculated coins of the same dates that came in blue envelopes and soft plastic holders often developed spots or some brownish tarnish-type "toning".  Coins in grading service holders can also tone or otherwise change in appearance over time.   

I assume that by the coin being "professionally cleaned" by NGC, you mean that it was "conserved" by NGC's affiliate NCS.  It's hard for me to understand how these common coins would be worth even the minimum $25 conservation fee in addition to grading and related fees unless the submitter was sure that they would achieve unusually high grades.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  .... It's hard for me to understand how these common coins would be worth even the minimum $25 conservation fee in addition to grading and related fees unless the submitter was sure that they would achieve unusually high grades....

... or simply had great personal, sentimental value.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:51 PM, Just Bob said:

Is the marking different from the normal haze and blue toning that is sometimes seen on these coins?

Yes it is, I wish I could get a decent picture to post -- looks like rust on the coin.

On 4/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  Please note that the NGC Registry forum is for questions relating specifically to the registry. Your topic would receive better attention if posted in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum.  

Without photos, preferably of the full obverse and reverse of the coin, it really isn't possible for us to understand what the "markings" to which you are referring look like. I don't even know whether your 1972-S Eisenhower dollar is the proof or uncirculated version. I'm unclear as to whether you're referring to a single 1972-S or to a 1971-S as well.

The proofs that came in brown boxes and hard plastic holders of all dates from 1971-74 often developed a bluish, whitish or yellowish haze, and the uncirculated coins of the same dates that came in blue envelopes and soft plastic holders often developed spots or some brownish tarnish-type "toning".  Coins in grading service holders can also tone or otherwise change in appearance over time.   

I assume that by the coin being "professionally cleaned" by NGC, you mean that it was "conserved" by NGC's affiliate NCS.  It's hard for me to understand how these common coins would be worth even the minimum $25 conservation fee in addition to grading and related fees unless the submitter was sure that they would achieve unusually high grades.

I added a photo today - hopefully it will clearly show what I am trying to point out.  And yes I am trying to show that possibly there is a common thread between the 1971-S and now the 1972-S (MS coins) that have problems beginning at the US Mint - i.e., the US Mint dipped the blank planchet's for the 1971-S coins in a special solution that they thought would enhance the coins appearance - only to find out it created a haze on most of the coins.

Sorry, but I don't see a photo inserted into the initial post. Check that it is of an acceptable file type and size and that it was successfully uploaded.

I submitted a 1972 S Ike that was in OGP with the Blue Chip because I noticed after all the years I have owned it (I bought it as a kid) somehow the OGP plastic had gotten a hole in it. I figured it had been exposed to the environment for years not knowing how the hole got in the plastic or how long ago that happened. I was disappointed to find it because I take extremely good care of my coins since I was a kid and this was also kept in the envelope it was in when I bought it. I am only guessing but maybe it got there intentionally by one of my exes. I digress. After submitting this for grading, about a year later when I was rearranging my SDB, I noticed it had developed a white spot around something tiny on the surface. I pulled it out and resubmitted it for NCS Conservation, and the spot has been removed and the coin stable since.

So as an answer to your question, I did experience an issue with mine.