• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of my Raw collection..
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I said I'd post some of my collection and I'm a man of my word, I'll post as replies with a couple per day or every few day's..I know these hold absolutely no value, so I thought I'd get that out of the way off the bat.. Soooo, shall we begin?😃

My first, is also my favorite it's a weird blue 1920 Lincoln cent. This one is my favorite because it's traveled for 104 years to be here with me now, it's been through world wars, a great depression and so many other historical events and it's still going... Photo_2024-04-0623_15_16_249.JPG.4643296184c5053a1aec51129d4ff750.JPGPhoto_2024-04-0623_14_49_243.JPG.d7f7febeba5b123ca50c8ffe8d0d3e64.JPG

Next up is a super awkward and weird set of Lincoln cents from 2021..One is in its bare zinc form and another has some weird coating, it doesn't appear to be copper but rather a copper paint or anodizing? One I got as change from a store and the other I got in a roll of pennies from a bank.. I kept because they were odd,weird and cool...

Photo_2024-04-06 23_16_34_299.JPG

Photo_2024-04-06 23_16_48_761.JPG

Photo_2024-04-06 23_18_09_238.JPG

Photo_2024-04-06 23_18_18_864.JPG

Hello there, Noob115 (and all of your other 114 presumably close associates)!  :roflmao:

You are indeed a man of your word (as am I). I may have lost my p/t gig as Guest Moderator, but none of my storytelling ability in my never-ending quest to broaden the coin collector community's collective body of knowledge.  :preach:

I am going to pump up the volume on that delectable morsel, your favorite true-blue 1920 cent, as follows.  First and foremost, it survived the still-unsolved Wall Street Bomb Explosion which occurred a minute past noon on September 16, 1920 (since memorialized in a Wikipedia account as having resulted in the deaths of 30 -- and one horse.) You will hear stories about anarchists and the physical damage inflicted on J.P Morgan's bank which is still visible to this day, but rarely the footnote to the affair which involved the unpublicized movement of $900 million in gold bars being moved that day in the sub-Treasury building directly across the street. Re your cent... it was purportedly found in the pocket of the driver of the horse-drawn carriage. That's your back story which you may embellish as you see fit.  🤣   Bear in mind, you are not obligated to prove your assertion to anyone.

I am going to withhold comment on the rest of your cents as I do not regard any minted after 1959 as "real" due to their reduced copper content, except to point out that your photo of the '64-D, at post-position 3, features a rather interesting feature abbuting Lincoln's forehead that other members may wish to comment (or concoct another story) on. All in all, a fine presentation!  :golfclap:

Good to see you are enjoying the hobby. I advise caution when the time comes to start making purchases. Learn as much as you can and ask questions here before you go down that road. It will save you a lot of grief.  

On 4/7/2024 at 5:45 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Hello there, Noob115 (and all of your other 114 presumably close associates)!  :roflmao:

You are indeed a man of your word (as am I). I may have lost my p/t gig as Guest Moderator, but none of my storytelling ability in my never-ending quest to broaden the coin collector community's collective body of knowledge.  :preach:

I am going to pump up the volume on that delectable morsel, your favorite true-blue 1920 cent, as follows.  First and foremost, it survived the still-unsolved Wall Street Bomb Explosion which occurred a minute past noon on September 16, 1920 (since memorialized in a Wikipedia account as having resulted in the deaths of 30 -- and one horse.) You will hear stories about anarchists and the physical damage inflicted on J.P Morgan's bank which is still visible to this day, but rarely the footnote to the affair which involved the unpublicized movement of $900 million in gold bars being moved that day in the sub-Treasury building directly across the street. Re your cent... it was purportedly found in the pocket of the driver of the horse-drawn carriage. That's your back story which you may embellish as you see fit.  🤣   Bear in mind, you are not obligated to prove your assertion to anyone.

I am going to withhold comment on the rest of your cents as I do not regard any minted after 1959 as "real" due to their reduced copper content, except to point out that your photo of the '64-D, at post-position 3, features a rather interesting feature abbuting Lincoln's forehead that other members may wish to comment (or concoct another story) on. All in all, a fine presentation!  :golfclap:

Thank you so much for your reply 😃

And also thank you for the history lesson, I enjoy history myself and there's nothing wrong with that..

I didn't notice anything off about the 1964 D 🤷 but I'm still learning, I hope if the community spots odd coins or something cool that they'll kindly point it out and help me to gain knowledge..

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me,it's very appreciated..

On 4/7/2024 at 7:06 AM, J P M said:

Good to see you are enjoying the hobby. I advise caution when the time comes to start making purchases. Learn as much as you can and ask questions here before you go down that road. It will save you a lot of grief.  

Thank you.. The hobby is awesome and I really enjoy finding and sharing finds..

I'm hopeful that as I post my collection,members will help me to identify things and share some of their valuable knowledge with me so I can know what to look out for..

Maybe I have something special and don't even know it, new coins are being found all the time...

Thank you for taking the time to reply...

About that '64-D...

I believe I was mistaken in attributing as a possible error, the curious appendage abutting Lincoln's head.  On re-examination, it seems the seamless juxtaposition of your close-up photos suggests something that appears to be there, but isn't.

You are off to a great start! Your photographic skills really help bring out the details clearly.  Great job! 

Why does the 1920 appear to be lead? A former lady friend had kept a blue nickel that had passed through her toddler son’s digestive tract. 

Ew.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/7/2024 at 10:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Why does the 1920 appear to be lead? A former lady friend had kept a blue nickel that had passed through her toddler son’s digestive tract. 

Ew.

Intereresting... had that "blue nickel" been lead (Pb #82) her son likely would have been poisoned.  I see where mercury (Hg #80) and thallium (Tl #81) close Periodic Table mates, are also poisonous if ingested as well.  I would be curious to know what is responsible for causing the peripheral iridescent blue toning commonly found on coins.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:32 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Intereresting... had that "blue nickel" been lead (Pb #82) her son likely would have been poisoned.  I see where mercury (Hg #80) and thallium (Tl #81) close Periodic Table mates, are also poisonous if ingested as well.  I would be curious to know what is responsible for causing the peripheral iridescent blue toning commonly found on coins.

As I'm LEAD to understand it has something to do with a mix of conditions such as people's body oils on the coin and not being washed off, an alloy that's slightly off in it's mixture and atmospheric conditions such as moisture and coins being in certain places with different climates, places next to oceans or mountains..

I could be mistaken though, I'm a noob 😂