• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 1 dollar s mint mark
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Just got this 2008 s 1 dollar coin but it has this lines on the edge does anyone knows about it I haven’t see one likes this it is a rare coin? It is worth having in my collection 

IMG_3555.jpeg

IMG_3554.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

Edited by Gjose

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

2008-S Presidential dollars were issued only as proofs in mint sealed proof sets, from one of which, unfortunately, this coin has been removed.  The edge lettering on proofs is created by a "tripartite collar" that is in three segments that close together from the sides as the coin is struck. It is normal for there to be a raised bit of metal at each of the seams where the segments come together, as on your coin. You don't see such seams on Presidential and other small dollar coins with lettered edges struck for circulation because their edge lettering is created by edge lettering dies that are applied after the coin is struck.

When you post photos of coins about which you have questions, please post clear cropped photos of each full side of the coin as well as pertinent closeups. Additionally, you should not touch a coin with your bare hands, except by the edges if you must.  Skin oils can be corrosive to coin metal, especially to coins that are largely composed of copper and zinc such as these small dollar coins, and the mirror surfaces of proofs are easily damaged. I recommend soaking this coin in acetone or at least rinsing it with clean (preferably distilled) water and patting (not rubbing) it dry with a clean cloth or tissue as soon as possible to prevent the appearance of devaluing fingerprints and spots.

Assuming that the coin is still in mint condition, which we can't tell without better photos, it would have a retail (dealer sell) value per Coin World as a typical, uncertified proof of any of the Presidential dollars of that year of $4.50 or so.

I agree with @Sandon on this coin. However, I would like to add that a proof that has been put into circulation generally devalues the proof greatly. Depending on how much time this proof has been in circulation and has sustained circulation damage marks, hits, and possible environmental damage, its value might be reduced only to face value.

If you provided cropped, full photos of both sides of the coin, we would better be able to assess if this is the case. Sadly, people sometimes do put proofs into circulation where they were never intended to be when they were struck.

On 4/6/2024 at 4:29 PM, powermad5000 said:

I agree with @Sandon on this coin. However, I would like to add that a proof that has been put into circulation generally devalues the proof greatly. Depending on how much time this proof has been in circulation and has sustained circulation damage marks, hits, and possible environmental damage, its value might be reduced only to face value.

If you provided cropped, full photos of both sides of the coin, we would better be able to assess if this is the case. Sadly, people sometimes do put proofs into circulation where they were never intended to be when they were struck.

This how it looks 

IMG_3572.jpeg

IMG_3571.jpeg

It seems to have some circulation abrasions and minor hits, as well as significant spotting on the reverse if I am seeing it correctly. This is now what would be considered an impaired proof and with over 3 million issued, has sadly lost its collector value when there are significant numbers of pristine specimens residing in collections.