• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1882 O Morgan Dollar - What Is This?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have a Morgan dollar that's been in my parent's drawer for decades.  I saw it when I was a kid.  I have an ordinary 1884 Morgan for comparison.

The coin has a wide, flat rim on the reverse side partially covering the lettering which is fully intact and undisturbed. The edge is pressed round and is not reeded.

This coin weighs in at a 29.7 grams so there is excess material (should weigh about 26.8 grams).  This coin has a larger diameter than a typical Morgan dollar and misses the reeded edge as if it were smashed but Perfectly flat on the reverse.

The perfectly round reverse reveal of the 1882 coin (shown in the pictures) is nearly an exact match to the size of a half dollar blank.  What is this? 

image_67235585(1).JPG

obverse.jpg

Edited by Dehaas

Welcome to the forum. It appears your Morgan is in a bezel. You could try to remove it, but you would have to be really careful not to damage the coin.

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of a holder or a bezel.  It appears to be the same type of metal and there aren't any gaps, seams or anything.  If this is a bezel then it is really on there.  Is it worth the trouble of trying to remove it? 

There is no seam. The coin has been pressed into the bezel.    
Notice on the obverse how high the rim is, that is part of the bezel.    
Although not a valuable Morgan in that condition, you would probably.  
ruin it trying to remove it. Leave it as it is.

Edited by Greenstang

I agree with the others, it must have had a mount for a neckless at one time. It would be better to leave it as is than damage the coin.

100% a bezel, it also looks like the obv rim of the bezel was slightly folded over, perhaps to better retain the coin or maybe just from use as a pendant.   The coin itself has no significant collector value in that condition, worth roughly $28-$30 for the silver, the bezel itself might also be silver.   Rather than damage the coin or the bezel it would be best to leave it as is.   Welcome to the forum.

Take it to a jeweler have him clean and polish the bezel ( not the coin) braze on a silver loop and add a nice silver chain..walaa...you have a cool necklace. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink