• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super thick quarter. Just wondering if this coin anything special. I've been loving the thought that i have a eye for error coins, not so sure now lol.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum

First we need the weight to two decimal points. Second we need a clear photo of both sides of the coin.   

Also please crop your photos, we don't need all that background and it will enlarge your photos.

It could be one of a couple of things be we need more informaytion.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:15 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum

First we need the weight to two decimal points. Second we need a clear photo of both sides of the coin.   

Also please crop your photos, we don't need all that background and it will enlarge your photos.

It could be one of a couple of things be we need more informaytion.

No need to apologize, everyone has to start somewhere. Suggest reading the top two posts in this column, there is a wealth of information there for beginners.

Your coins weight is in spec so its not overweight. Would still like to see a clear photo of both sides. Also would you put this quarter on top of another quarter and see if the diameter is the same or is it smaller.

Based on your photos, the 1989-P quarter is not a mint error. Someone "spooned" its edges after it left the mint. Please see the following topic:

Contrary to what you may have read or seen on some websites, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error or other rare or valuable coin in circulation or in coins that were accumulated from circulation. In nearly 53 years of collecting and studying U.S. coins and checking change, I have never found any coin worth more than a few dollars in circulation.  I know only one collector who ever has received a significant mint error in change.  The vast majority of pieces that people post here believing that they are mint errors or die varieties are coins that were damaged or, like yours, altered after leaving the mint. Nearly all of the others exhibit minor anomalies or "quality control issues" that have little or no market value and wouldn't be attributed as mint errors by third-party grading services.  It's fine to keep on looking through change, but please understand that you are highly unlikely to find anything of real interest or value.

If you check the inventory of a dealer who deals primarily in mint errors such as Sullivan Numismatics, you will find that the vast majority of the more expensive items offered are in uncirculated grades.  I understand that most major mint errors are discovered in newly issued coins at counting houses or by bank personnel who sell them to coin dealers. Some have even been smuggled out of the mint by mint personnel.  In 2002 the U.S. Mint initiated procedures that have made it very difficult for any major error that results in a coin being misshapen from leaving the mint, and very few such pieces have been found dated later than 2002.

I assume that you have a current or recent "Red Book", a grading guide, and access to current price guides from which you can obtain basic information on U.S. coins and collecting them. If you don't, please let us know so we may assist you in obtaining them. For generally correct information about mint errors at an introductory level, see the following:   

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive treatment of mint errors, see the site error-ref.com.   

T-B/SOL (note to myself)

One valid piece of advice: regardless or age or provenance, bargain box or Cracker Jack box, accustom yourself to holding ALL coins, regardless of known or perceived value, properly, by their edges. This will hold you in good stead as you rise through the ranks of the hobby.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Never hold a coin by its surfaces, especially if you believe it to have some collector value! Always handle a coin by its edges. You can damage the coins surfaces by touching them with your bare hands.

Now, that you have once again been admonished to drive the point home to someone new to the hobby, I am voting in the dryer coin camp. There seems to be an anomaly between the legs of the eagle on the reverse as if something wore down that spot in the middle and also a flattening on George's head as if this coin got caught in its middle somewhere in a dryer and spun just a little, enough to damage those details and flatten out the rim, then fell out.

Thanks for the new photo. The fact that the reeds are missing and the diameter is smaller confirms my thoughts that it is a dryer coin. This is not considered an error but damage to the coin.

Suggest if you are going to look for errors, read up on what constitutes an error. Sandon has given you some websites plus this is one I use frequently.  error-ref.com.