• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am buying this coin convince me not too. I am high bidder and will bid up to $1200.00 My current winning bid is less than half of $1200.00 36hrs till hard close. My assigned grade is private but it's pretty high grade. Mistake? Steal? Break even? lol
1 1

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@CoinbufThis seller has pictures of the coins that are pretty well taken. The seller is Denver Coins Co on Ebay. I have been satisfied with the coins I have received in the past which include some of my registry set quarters and a walking liberty half dollar all graded just as anticipated. Thanks for the heads up though if it is the same seller. You have seen some of these coins as I have posted them in the Recent Aquisition page in the past. I don't buy all my coins online but some I just take a chance on some are losers some are winners. Its just money....lol but so much fun......

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 3/30/2024 at 2:59 PM, Coinbuf said:

Yes Denver Coins, aka (or may still be used) Canyon City Coins, and I think there may have been another name this seller has used in the past on ebay.

I may be a bit more conservative now with my high bid ceiling thank you CB

I have devoted the better part of an hour trying to locate this coin, without success.  I have barraged eBay in the past on their practice of including, in addition to your coin, coins of other denominations, dates, mintmarks -- and other metals, e.g., gold.  No luck. Solely on the strength of Coinbuf's input, I would reconsider the effort.  Too much money is at stake for a coin that hasn't been certified and isn't in-hand. Malheureusement, I do not know if you need this coin, or simply want it. ( I saw quite a few offerings with different dates sporting original, gorgeous mint luster.) My search for Denver Coins, frustratingly included coins minted in Denver!  Do me a giant favor and check two things right now: their written (advertised) return policy (if they have one) + Recent Reviews. Good luck, Mike!

On 3/30/2024 at 4:02 PM, Sandon said:

I had to click the links several times to see the coin, whose photos were still very small.

I would be very reluctant to bid on this coin, which superficially appears to be a cameo proof 1878 Liberty Seated quarter, sight-unseen and uncertified on the basis of these photos.  It looks too good to be true, and I am puzzled as to why a legitimate coin dealer would offer such a coin uncertified nowadays. It could be a counterfeit or alteration. Does this seller have a return privilege that would extend to the amount of time it would take to have the coin certified?  

Full return policy

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 4:02 PM, Sandon said:

It looks too good to be true

Well we will see I'm in it deep...hope for the best I'm confident it's a PF CAM coin and has no issues. I have much larger HD photos ...but you'll have to find the real auction before you can see the real quality of this coin..I may be dumb but Im not stupid.. I may win big or lose but its always a fun gamble.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 3/30/2024 at 5:46 PM, J P M said:

I was just looking at it on the bay and it does look very nice. If it is a fake, it is a real nice one. :roflmao:

I doubt it's fake, just that the photos are juiced and taken in a way to hide any flaws or issues. 

On 3/30/2024 at 5:59 PM, Coinbuf said:

Yes Denver Coins, aka (or may still be used) Canyon City Coins, and I think there may have been another name this seller has used in the past on ebay.

Is this the same guy that juices the pictures of his Morgan’s to the point that they look almost like a painting of a coin?

On 3/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, Just Bob said:

Is this the same guy that juices the pictures of his Morgan’s to the point that they look almost like a painting of a coin?

See my post below yours.  ;)

One more set of photos, these are also from the same thread that I quoted the text from above.   CC's photo, the buyers photo and the PCGS result.   Bottom line Mike if you have gotten every raw coin you bought from this seller to straight grade at the advertised grade you are either not being honest with us about your results or have been incredibly lucky.

211.jpeg

212.jpeg

213.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/30/2024 at 11:49 PM, Just Bob said:

That’s the guy. The fields on his Morgan’s always look almost black, with that orange streak through them.

So this is one of those "Coin Doctors" that Laura S. was always complaining about, I take it ? :mad:

Isn't there some numismatic "Better Business Bureau" seal of Good Housekeeping or something.....PNG or ANA or something....that tells people the person abides by a code of ethics ?

I mean...doctoring coins and NOT saying they are....if I tried that with investing/money management, I'd lose my certifications and probably be fined/prosecuted. :o

On 3/31/2024 at 12:44 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Isn't there some numismatic "Better Business Bureau" seal of Good Housekeeping or something.....PNG or ANA or something....that tells people the person abides by a code of ethics ?

There is not a "code" and there never has been. There have always been unethical sellers and even dealers in the numismatic world.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:45 AM, powermad5000 said:

There is not a "code" and there never has been. There have always been unethical sellers and even dealers in the numismatic world.

Well, this is something where the professional organizations should get off their butts and create something to give buyers confidence that someone is legit.  I guess if there is a very easy/liberal return policy that isn't bad but a seal of approval from an overseer would eliminate unhappy purchases.  Word spreads, especially in on the Internet, Social Media, forum message boards, etc.  If a dealer didn't have the necessary certification it would speak volumes.

Kind of surprised there isn't.  I see it in other fields -- I have money management certifications (CFA, CFP) for instance -- jewelers have their Gemological stuff, etc.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/31/2024 at 12:57 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Well, this is something where the professional organizations should get off their butts and create something to give buyers confidence that someone is legit.

NGC, PCGS, ANACS and now CACG provide the confidence that the coins are legit, but as for individual sellers, it is sort of impossible, especially for sellers who might only sell a couple or few coins a year. On eBay, there is feedback, but that can only go so far. The feedback is useful for sellers who consistently provide less than desired quality (such as receiving a coin not shown in the photos you bought from), or from sellers who don't even ship the coin, but for sellers like the one in question, I can only imagine not all the buyers from that seller actually submit their coins so for those who buy the coins off of those juiced up photos, they may only end up keeping them raw and not have the knowledge to check them for defects. Therefore, that seller can get positive feedback but there is actually a disconnect between the feedback and reality of the purchase.