• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 wheat penny why is there no mint mark could anyone tell me
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 3:28 PM, Yancey1997 said:

I don't 

If you plan to collect coins you need one.   If your plan is to not get one and ask a billion questions that can easily be answered by using a simple reference book, like a red book, you might find that some members (myself included) will become tired and may start to ignore your posts.   Give a man a fish fed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he can feed himself, a Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly referred to as a red book (due to the red cover) is an invaluable tool for a coin collector.   I've been collecting for 40+ years and still use my red book often.

The coin has no mintmark because it was struck at the Philadelphia mint.

As the Philadelphia mint was the original, or "main" U.S. mint, rather than a "branch" mint, it was thought unnecessary for coins of that mint to be identified by a mint mark. (The Philadelphia mint was the only U.S. mint from 1792-1837, and the first mintmarks on U.S. coins appear on coins struck at the branch mints that opened in 1838.)  A "P" mintmark was first used on the wartime alloy five cent coins of 1942-45 to identify them as having been struck in a special alloy. The "P" mintmark was next used on 1979-P Susan B. Anthony dollars and was added to all other denominations of circulating coins except for the cent in 1980. The "P" mintmark was used on cents minted in Philadelphia only in 2017 to commemorate the 225th anniversary of the establishment of that mint.

If you want to understand the coins that you collect, it is absolutely essential that you obtain basic resources, at a bare minimum a current or recent edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins (commonly known as the "Red Book" or the "Redbook", 2025 edition to be published within the next month), a grading guide, and a current price guide.  Please see the following forum topics to identify and obtain these and other vital print and online resources:

We have an old expression: "Buy the book before the coin!" It is still valid today, especially if "book" is interpreted as including legitimate websites.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:37 AM, Stephcronic said:

Just found this

IMG_5950.jpeg

(Oh, saw you in that old-school hip-hop video, All that Jazz, when you wuz with Stetsasonic.)  doh!

"Why is there no mint mark?" Reminiscent of the voice heard in the Garden of Eden:  "Who told you you were naked?"

The OP must not ever get to the east coast, I’m thinking. There, finding cents WITH a mint mark is unusual. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/29/2024 at 10:44 AM, VKurtB said:

The OP must not ever get to the east coast, I’m thinking. There, finding cents WITH a mint mark is unusual. 

That is a big 10-4