• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnetic 1953 Cent
1 1

3 posts in this topic

The coin was almost certainly plated or coated with nickel or some other magnetic metal, as I understand was frequently done in high school science labs decades ago.  You can see the underlying bronze where the plating or coating has come off, and the plating or coating has an unnatural shine.

Unless you can find evidence that the Philadelphia mint was making coins for some foreign country in or around 1953 that were exactly the size of a U.S. cent and had magnetic properties, it would be a waste of money and time to "send it in". Even then, the chances that it would be determined to be a "wrong planchet" error would be "slim and nil."

I agree this cent looks to have been plated. It is off-color, shiny on the obverse, and the reverse looks like the plating which damaged the original surface is suffering from some form of environmental damage.

Did you weigh this cent to the hundredth decimal place? I would be curious to know what the weight is.