• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1929 Buffalo Nickel Price Estimate
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2024 at 12:40 PM, LOCK34 said:

Mustache, abdullah and vasquez should combine resources and corner the Palladium market:headbang:

I was thinking they would be great in a reboot of the three stooges.  lol

Edited by Coinbuf

FWIW...  If it'll make you feel better, no 1929 Buffalo Head nickel in the annals of NGC certification history has been graded as MS-68. (Only 3 have been graded MS-67, and only 1 has been graded as MS-67+) While it is possible an example may be submitted, it is unlikely as the circulation strike process, likened to a fast-moving assembly line, militates against it.

Further to the above, while certifications at MS-68 for All dates in the series (1913-1938) total 271, there are a few outliers which perhaps only a devoted collector can explain...

For example:  1913 Type I - 44; 1913D - 2; 1913S - 4;  1937 - 40; 1938D - 88.

🐓:  So what do you make of all this, Q?

Q.A.:  Ultimately, the OP's question, "How much would this [raw, uncertified] coin go for?", is unanswerable, as worded.

Things went south after a helpful member posted an MS-66 example, for comparison.  How else to explain a thread that progressed quickly from a possible MS-68, which appeared to be "flawless" under a "microscope" to maybe an MS-67, to an outside consultant's verdict of "AU" worth "$20."  (Someone saved on formal grading costs!) The collateral consequences are most regrettable: one member "ignored" another dispatched with an insult. And a surprise career change, to boot: from coins to precious metals.

🐓:  Is the OP aware that posts made by ignored members are still legible?

Q.A.:  I don't know. However, I still feel a newbie ought to wait a respectful interval before taking the plunge onto the Forum. You know, get to know the players, seniority, and any perceived pecking order. Get the feel of the place. I hope anyone bearing a hatchet quickly buries it and forgives all trespasses from whatever quarter they may emanate and starts over on an even plain.

After all, no one just leaves the Forum. Once you join, you're in for life.  Might as well make the most of it, I always say.  🤣

For the same reasons as stated by Mike, I would have to say the OP's coin would grade AU 53 but I don't think it would get higher than that. I do not have the coin in hand however so that is just an opinion.

To the OP, this is a tricky series to grade. Not all of these nickels were fully struck, or struck well and that is taken into account at the grading table. Sometimes it can be difficult to discern between wear and a poorly struck specimen. That said, however, strike is one of the top things a professional grader is going to look at. A coin with zero scratches, marks, or hits with a fantastic surface might only grade as low MS if it is poorly struck. And a well struck coin with minimal wear in AU grades can be mistaken as an MS which is also known in the coin community as an AU slider. In this series, added twists to grading them also exist by year, and by mint so this is really a difficult series to try to self grade. You would have to put in a lot of work and research in order to self grade this series well and why I state my self grade of this by a photo is merely an opinion.

On 3/27/2024 at 2:26 PM, Mustacheman said:

ShOUld I MaKE a URANIUM laced blanket too while I’m at it? 😭😂😂

Sublingual lozenges, like Vitamin B12.