• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 - D Small Date Bronze Lincoln cent?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

image.thumb.jpg.c9a18360c14bc1a3b63cac89bffc46c9.jpgis this it? It looks promising but I need confirmation. The 9 looks a tad too big but isn’t the 2 the most important feature for small dates? The point of the 2 is nice and even versus the other example where even the 8 is bulging out and the 2 is huge. This is not. And it weights 3.1g

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 12:40 AM, Mustacheman said:

image.thumb.jpg.c9a18360c14bc1a3b63cac89bffc46c9.jpgis this it? It looks promising but I need confirmation. The 9 looks a tad too big but isn’t the 2 the most important feature for small dates? The point of the 2 is nice and even versus the other example where even the 8 is bulging out and the 2 is huge. This is not. And it weights 3.1g

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You know what I looked at the 2 again… I think I answered my own question. But please correct me if I’m either right or wrong. 

Your coin is a 1982-D large date, which is abundantly common in brass (95% copper) composition.  See the following "infographic":

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 12:47 AM, Sandon said:

Your coin is a 1982-D large date, which is abundantly common in brass (95% copper) composition.  See the following "infographic":

I figured. Ngl the 8 in this is really clean for a large date so that threw me off which is why I got you. Thank you sir.

On 3/26/2024 at 12:47 AM, Sandon said:

What about this one? It ain’t Denver but it’s bronze and I’m pretty sure small.

image.jpg

On 3/26/2024 at 12:58 AM, Sandon said:

Here's an NGC Coin Explorer photo of a 1982 small date:

1982 SM DT BRONZE 1C MS

It’s the 2… the damn 2. Unfortunate. Worth a shot. Also… question. I have another post up about the Quarter. Wanna take a look at that for me?

It's not just the "2" but the whole date and the lettering as well! Note, for example, how much smaller the top loop of the "8" is on the small date than the bottom loop, while on the large date the loops are nearly the same size.

I usually just go by the distance between the 2 and the border.   
If you can fit another letter between the space it is a Small Date.   
If it is closer to the border it is a Large Date.   
This way if the numbers are worn or damaged, you can still tell the difference.

No cigar. Finding a third one of these is like playing the Powerball and winning. But, you gotta play to win right?

There is so many people laser focused on finding a third one of these that I have to believe it does not exist. Literally hundreds of posts on here in the last few years alone with people claiming they have found a third. Answering questions about large date/small date 1982 D Lincoln cents has got to be the #1 topic in this forum.

Don't feel bad thpugh. I will admit I even check the weights on my 1982 D small dates, but I honestly don't expect to find anything out of the norm.