• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it "Red Book" or Redbook?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Is there a difference?  Yes. Is it worthy of a dedicated New Topic?  Probably not...

Technically, little more than a convenient reference term, "A Guidebook of United States Coins," is universally referred to by the coin collector community, as the "Red Book." (It has a "companion" volume, commonly referred to as the "Blue Book.") Published annually and continuously since 1946, it is now available in a number of formats.

In contrast, "Redbook" is the name of an American women's magazine [that terminated print publication about 5 years ago.]

Red Book vs. Redbook magazine. That's it in a nutshell. (No difference in pronunciation.)   :whistle:

On 3/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Is there a difference?  Yes. Is it worthy of a dedicated New Topic?  Probably not...

Technically, little more than a convenient reference term, "A Guidebook of United States Coins," is universally referred to by the coin collector community, as the "Red Book." (It has a "companion" volume, commonly referred to as the "Blue Book.") Published annually and continuously since 1946, it is now available in a number of formats.

In contrast, "Redbook" is the name of an American women's magazine [that terminated print publication about 5 years ago.]

Red Book vs. Redbook magazine. That's it in a nutshell. (No difference in pronunciation.)   :whistle:

My mom read Redbook.

Neither. The official title is A Guide Book of United States Coins and the cover also states: "The official Red Book" with a trademark symbol.

Is the concern whether or not there is a space between Red and book as in Red book VS Redbook?

I will admit, this is minutia that my brain has not bothered with, but I just had to get up and go downstairs and look on mine. There is a space between Red and Book.

Which means Redbook is a non numismatic magazine.

Thanks @Henri Charriere for the additional staircase exercise today!