• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005-D penny mint mark error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello All, Jim the Newbie here. Thanks to the moderators and commenters on this site. I have a 2005-D penny with an odd mint mark. I haven’t been able to identify this type of mint mark through Google so I need help. Is the mint mark an error?   Thank you. 2005-DObverse.thumb.jpg.f94fed9f8e766f8676649a92ff501d3d.jpg2005-DReverse.thumb.jpg.6a00111e065b4a2af8e7eff0f04481be.jpg2005-Dcloseup.thumb.jpg.3830034d729dfc2427106a40a3696767.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on your photos, which are somewhat blurry, your 2005-D cent has a normal mintmark for that year.  What characteristic do you believe is out of the ordinary?

Please note that since the early 1990s, mintmarks have been included in each year's master dies and are no longer punched into individual dies.  Such die varieties as over-mintmarks, repunched mintmarks, and different styles or sizes of mintmarks used in the same year no longer occur.

Thanks for the rapid response. Your explanation makes sense (and explains why a google search wouldn’t have helped me). I thought the vertical line was out of alignment. I was hoping for an over mint mark but that sounds impossible the way they are currently made. 

Lesson learned. Thanks again for your response. 

On 3/24/2024 at 8:14 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum

Even if it was a “over mint mark” which it can’t be, it would be a variety, not an error, big difference.

I’ve got a lot to learn. Funny, when I saw it and thought it was novel, I have to admit that my heart skipped a beat. Maybe it will be the next coin. Or the one after that. Or the one after that. 

Contrary to what you may have seen on certain websites, it is in fact virtually impossible to find any coin of value in circulation.  I have been collecting and studying U.S. coins and checking change for nearly 53 years and have never found anything worth more than a few dollars. I know only one collector who ever found anything of significant value in change, a cent overstruck by nickel dies received in change at a grocery store, duly authenticated, and likely worth several hundred dollars. This is at best a once in a lifetime occurrence.

What you should be doing if you want to be successful as a collector is to be learning from reliable print and online resources and attending such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of collectable coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Please refer to the following forum topics for guidance:

On 3/24/2024 at 9:00 AM, Sandon said:

What you should be doing if you want to be successful as a collector is to be learning from reliable print and online resources and attending such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings where you can examine a variety of collectable coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Please refer to the following forum topics for guidance

That is great advice; exactly what I needed to know. I’m starting from an odd place. My brother-in-law passed away leaving me his coin collection containing coins such as 1878 Morgan silver dollars, mercury dimes, WWII era cents, etc. He didn’t label any of them as to why he saved them!  I’ve been wading through about a hundred coin so far, and being so new at it, I have millions of questions. Your advice was sorely needed. 

Hello and welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Given the background which you have just provided us with inheriting a somewhat large collection, you should get yourself a current Redbook of United States Coins, as well as a copy of a book titled ANA Grading Standards for Untied States Coins, 7th Edition. There are two things to keep in mind as you sift through the collection. Just because a coin is very worn does not mean it is not worth much (think 1916 D Mercury Dime, and 1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat Cent) and just because a coin seems to be in fantastic shape does not mean it is worth a fortune (think 1959 D Lincoln Memorial Cent in MS 66 RD listed currently in the price guide as $27.50).

You also can refer to NGC's Coin Explorer right here on this website, if needed you can refer to PCGS Coinfacts, and you can also post any coin from the collection here that you are wondering about. Just remember if you post pics of the coins here to keep it at only one coin per thread (yes, we would rather have a bunch of threads to look at rather than 20 coins in a single post to comment on), and provide clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin. Your photos here, while decent, could be a little more clear and cropped a little closer.

I hope this helps you!