• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wayne Miller Coin Shop-Helena, MT
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2024 at 4:37 PM, Rod D. said:

....The intruders only took early Morgan dollars and ignored the cash register and the case displaying gold coins....

Passed on the ready cash.  Passed on the gold. Early Morgans only...  🤔  Probably not an inside job, but insider information likely played a role. Had anyone expressed an inordinate interest for the old Morgans lately?

Were the coins in display cases ?

A really-heavy safe -- 600 pounds or more -- would be a useful deterrent.  Nothing is burglar proof, but most want to get in-and-out and not spend 10-15 minutes trying to get by 2" steel doors.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:20 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Were the coins in display cases ?

A really-heavy safe -- 600 pounds or more -- would be a useful deterrent.  Nothing is burglar proof, but most want to get in-and-out and not spend 10-15 minutes trying to get by 2" steel doors.

Probably hassle move all coins to safe every night … by sounds of it looked like he had pretty large inventory …. Sorta reminds of Julian’s coin shop that guy had tons and tons of coins laying around in display cases and in boxes and so on looked like a huge lifetime hoard of coin buying over all the years  … basically impossible to lock all that stuff up in vault every night and get it all back out in morning put out in display again just to have 3-5 customers walk I. For the day 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 3/26/2024 at 1:51 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Probably hassle move all coins to safe every night … 

It's easy to take the bulk of the value -- 80% of the value is probably in 20% of the coins, maybe 10% -- and just put them lying down in a few steel safe shelves.

NO WAY if I had a jewelry shop I wold leave that stuff out....I realize you can't do that with everything but it's worth it to spend 15 minutes putting away the expensive stuff.

JMHO. (thumbsu

In my hardscrabble neck of the woods, crime is par for the course.  I would not expect a crime of this magnitude to occur in Helena, the capital of Montana.  

On 3/26/2024 at 9:04 PM, Rod D. said:

I want to agree with your statement, but I can’t. A few years ago a prominent and well known gold prospector’s shop was robbed in Helena.  His gold nugget collection was amazing.  I’ve supported him as much as I could before and after the robbery. Some of his collection has been recovered and returned. Bottom line-it happens everywhere and happens too much. 

Don't tell me he didn't have insurance !!??

On 3/27/2024 at 12:35 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Don't tell me he didn't have insurance !!??

Don't know if he had insurance, but both shops (Miller's included) should.