• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890 -1926 Morgan Collection - New to me
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2024 at 10:14 PM, morganmanny said:

What is the grade of this 1921 Morgan dollar?

What would a dealer sell this coin for?

Morgan1921b.JPG

Morgan1921a.JPG

Hello there!  :hi:

I suppose Guess the Grade has its entertainment value, but there is a reason why coins are submitted to TPGS.  Ideally, what you ask for cannot be done via pixelated images.  I see some areas of concern which would warrant in-hand, personal inspection. I do not believe any ball park figures would do your coin justice. Hopefully, someone will weigh in with some valid observations of their own.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on the photos, this 1921 Morgan dollar is in approximately About Uncirculated condition (AU 50-55). Coin World lists its retail value at $33-$34. This is the most common of all Morgan dollars. There are no Morgan dollars dated after 1921. Silver dollars dated 1922-28 and 1934-35 (and some 1921s) are of a different design and known as Peace dollars.

Are you interested in becoming a collector, or are you just curious about the values of some coins you happen to own?

On 3/19/2024 at 10:44 PM, Sandon said:

.... Are you interested in becoming a collector, or are you just curious about the values of some coins you happen to own?

The gentleman has just posted a 1925 gold coin, of the incused persuasion, which you may wish to scrutinize in lieu of a suggestion he consult Basic Resources and What collectors need to know...

Thanks for the quick responses!

I received a few of Morgan coins, from my dad.  While curious about the vale of the few that were given to me.  I am fascinated by the detail and history of the coins/minting and the history that goes along with them.  My daughters received a state quarter as a "gift" from a classmate and interested in collecting all of them.  I am new to this hobby and think it would be a nice past time to share with my children.  I remember having the press in folders as a kid and wish I had kept up with them. I also used to roll hundreds of rolls from my uncles soda machines as a kid, I wonder how many keepers slipped through my hands back then!  So, in short  yes I am interested in becoming a collector... again :) 

Currently have most coins in mason jars and look forward to going through them on a rainy day.  Silver is separate from the rest, is this acceptable for storage?

On 3/19/2024 at 8:04 PM, morganmanny said:

Thanks for the quick responses!

I received a few of Morgan coins, from my dad.  While curious about the vale of the few that were given to me.  I am fascinated by the detail and history of the coins/minting and the history that goes along with them.  My daughters received a state quarter as a "gift" from a classmate and interested in collecting all of them.  I am new to this hobby and think it would be a nice past time to share with my children.  I remember having the press in folders as a kid and wish I had kept up with them. I also used to roll hundreds of rolls from my uncles soda machines as a kid, I wonder how many keepers slipped through my hands back then!  So, in short  yes I am interested in becoming a collector... again :) 

Currently have most coins in mason jars and look forward to going through them on a rainy day.  Silver is separate from the rest, is this acceptable for storage?

Welcome (back) to collecting coins, without knowing what you actually have it is not possible to fully answer your question on storage.   Obviously the more valuable a coin is better storage would be preferable over banging around in a mason jar.   On the other hand if what you have is mostly circulated coins from pocket change then at least until you have the time to properly review them your mason jars are likely fine for the time being.

I suggest that you purchase the "guide book to United States coins" often referred to as the red book.   This has lot of information on each coin the US mint has ever made and will be very helpful to you when you have the time to tackle going thru your mason jars of coins.   The valuations in the book are usually not super relevant as the market is fluid and changes often, but it will help you to identify if you have any coins that might have higher values from the rest.

Please see the following topics for essential print and online resources from which you may learn U.S. coins. A current or recent edition of the "Redbook" (2025 edition likely to be published within the next month) and a grading guide are essential.  

While coins of any value should not be stored unprotected and in contact with each other in a jar, if these are very common coins such as circulated common date wheat cents or "junk" silver coins, it is acceptable to store them in this manner or in tubes. The folders you remember are bad because the coins are open to the air on one side and subject to being touched by bare hands, which you also shouldn't do. While I can't go into depth about storage at this time, for any coins with collector value of a few dollars or more, you should obtain mylar (not vinyl) coin flips, hard plastic holders or capsules, or if you want to collect a series by date and mint, albums such as those made by Whitman or Dansco. If you keep coins in albums, be careful to seat the coins well in the album before you move the top slide to prevent the coin from acquiring slide marks. Proper holders and albums should be obtainable from your local coin dealer or from some of the sources mentioned in the first posted topic.

Regarding the photos, those of the Morgan dollar were adequate but should be taken with the camera directly above the coin and not at an angle. They could also be better cropped to eliminate the surrounding surface. It is never possible to evaluate a coin fully without in-person examination. 

I read not to clean the coins in any way.

For the coins that I think are more valuable that I did touch with my hands, should I wipe with microfiber cloth and put in individual Mylar bags?

Is there an affordable resource for these bags you could direct me to?

I found the mega red book online in paper back for $20 is that a fair price and sufficient to get started?

This is a hobby for me and taking it on as I have a lot of time on my hands, enjoy history and want to spend my time with my kids on something that be of benefit to them later in life..

On 3/20/2024 at 12:02 AM, morganmanny said:

For the coins that I think are more valuable that I did touch with my hands, should I wipe with microfiber cloth and put in individual Mylar bags?

Never wipe or rub a coin with anything, no matter how soft!  This may leave numerous hairline scratches on the coin, which may cause the coin to be regarded as "cleaned".  If you touched the surfaces other than the edges of the coins recently, you might want to rinse them with water (preferably distilled but in my experience tap water will do) and pat (don't rub) them dry with a clean tissue. Flips aren't bags. They are flexible holders for individual coins, usually 2- or 2.5-inch size.  If there isn't a coin dealer in your area who has such supplies (try Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com)), you can likely find them online through amosadvantage.com, whitman.com, or Wizard Coin Supply. 

The Deluxe Edition ("Mega Red") Redbook for $20 is likely an older edition--they usually cost $50 new-- but is alright if you want to do some in-depth, more advanced level reading.  You should review my "Resources for New Collectors" initial post, where I explain the need for a current standard edition as a quick overall reference, as well as a grading guide and a subscription to a current price guide.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:02 AM, morganmanny said:

should I wipe with microfiber cloth

Never ever wipe any coin with a rag or anything …. Only way to remove finger mark oil it soak the coin in 100% acetone let it naturally dry off itself do not take paper towel or old tee shirt and try to attempt to dry coin off by wiping will leave hairlines on the coin …. I dip every raw I owned into acetone when I bought them from other collectors or coin shows soon as I get home I open the coin 2x2 flip open and soak coin in acetone let it dry off I transfer it to a fresh new 2x2 put it away in storage 

On 3/19/2024 at 11:04 PM, morganmanny said:

While curious about the vale of the few that were given to me.  I am fascinated by the detail and history of the coins/minting and the history that goes along with them. 

That's one of the things I LOVE about this hobby.  Focusing on large-size U.S. coins -- Double Eagles, Morgans, etc. -- I have expanded my knowledge about the financial and economic times they were utilized.  Maybe it's good that the more expensive coins have the more expansive history and stories behind them....it gives you time to save up to get more $$$ to buy your next one !! xD

Seriously, for those coins involved in the gold and silver escapades of the Unite States, as well as their prominence in international trade, banking, and hoards....you have some great stories.  Let us know if you pursue them. (thumbsu