• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on grade - Franklin Halves

14 posts in this topic

As I collect these and I am at about 83% of a complete set of MS 64 FBL's with a smattering of MS 65 FBL's, I'll give you my opinion of your halves. Please note, this is only an opinion based solely upon the quality of your photos and no one can give a full opinion of grade without having the coin in hand and being able to use proper lighting and magnification to see if there are other distracting marks or evidence of cleaning or damage.

1950 - MS 63

1952 D - MS 64

1953 D - MS 62

1954 D - MS 64

It could just be the photos, but from them, what I can see is there is some minor issue on each reverse that would preclude any of them from getting the FBL designation. The top TPG's have tightened the requirements lately on giving out the FBL designation. To get it, both sets of bell lines need to be fully distinct and fully separated all the way across. While all of yours are close, I don't think any of them would actually be awarded the designation.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree in that I think they are MS and FBL is questionable. These photos were taken shortly after getting a macro lens and speedlight flash unit. Still working on figuring out getting good shots of coins and figuring out lighting. They do look better in hand but after scrutiny only the '53 D from these photos made the cut for grading. I wish I had thought to take pics of the coins I actually sent in! Hopin' that they all get FBLs and at least a MS 64 grade...but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:40 PM, JoeF said:

Thanks for the feedback. I agree in that I think they are MS and FBL is questionable. These photos were taken shortly after getting a macro lens and speedlight flash unit. Still working on figuring out getting good shots of coins and figuring out lighting. They do look better in hand but after scrutiny only the '53 D from these photos made the cut for grading. I wish I had thought to take pics of the coins I actually sent in! Hopin' that they all get FBLs and at least a MS 64 grade...but we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Report back....(thumbsu

I bought a few a bit ago. When those things get up in the really high 69 or 70 they are very expensive. These were in the $50 range. The prices went from $50 for these to like $500 in 69 or 70. 1950D ms64fbl cost me $60 and 53d ms65fbl cost $80. The FBL's on these might look a bit better then mine do. 

5934079_Full_Obv.jpg

5917139_Full_Obv.jpg

5946630_Full_Obv.jpg

In this case it is not exactly helpful to the OP to show examples of Proofs which are struck entirely different and have a different surface from the OP's business strikes. Being I am trying to put together the full set of all dates and mintmarks minus the Proofs, I am one who is used to looking over the surfaces and get close to the grades as I am requiring the set to be all in minimum MS 64 FBL. I have gotten a few returned as 65 FBL's in my quest and I can tell the difference with those as they have almost no marks across the face and hair of Franklin and the reverses of those are basically free of marks especially on the bell.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:35 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I bought a few a bit ago. When those things get up in the really high 69 or 70 they are very expensive. These were in the $50 range. The prices went from $50 for these to like $500 in 69 or 70. 1950D ms64fbl cost me $60 and 53d ms65fbl cost $80. The FBL's on these might look a bit better then mine do. 

Nice proofs but UNCs are different. You won't get FBLs on PFs.

2578300_002o.JPG

2578300_002r.JPG

2575247_001o.JPG

2575247_001r.JPG

On 3/18/2024 at 10:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... and the reverses of those are basically free of marks especially on the bell.

You kiddin' me?  Every one of those bells 🔔 has a crack in it and not hairline either!  🤣

On 3/18/2024 at 3:35 PM, Halbrook Family said:

5934079_Full_Obv.jpg

5917139_Full_Obv.jpg

5946630_Full_Obv.jpg

These are nice coins but FYI...but Proof and MS aren't the same. As far as I can tell NGC has no MS graded above 68 and proof franklins graded above 69...https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/half-dollars/43/

If you ever find a MS or PF Franklin graded 70 selling for $500, buy it.