• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atocha 8 reale
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have an Atocha 8 reale grade 3. With certificate of Authenticity signed by Mel Fisher that is framed. I'm wondering what the price range might be and where it would be best to place for sale... Since this site is about coins, I was hoping someone would know a good website for such a thing instead of Ebay. I can post pictures if that would help... Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! -Rose

IMG_4231.jpeg

IMG_4232.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4234.jpeg

IMG_4235.jpeg

Edited by Rheppler
added pics

Welcome aboard, Rheppler!  :hi:

I believe the membership would steer you in the direction of the "Coin Marketplace."  But by all means let the members on this Topic have a look at your shipwreck coin.

Hello and welcome!

I just looked up this coin on eBay (as a reference only) and see several of them on there going for between $1,150 and $3,500. Seems the price is also grade dependent. According to the Mel Fisher website, Grade 1 coins were salvaged from the innermost part of the chest and therefore have better surfaces and less saltwater damage as well as were select for having a better strike, while Grade 4 are ones with the most amount of saltwater damage. There was a few of them in grade 3 listed on eBay with a price spread from $1,600 to $3,400. I would say the higher priced ones are just looking to make several hundred (or a thousand plus) off the deal while the $1,600 price is a more realistic gavel price. Remember, those who list on sites like that can list the coin for whatever they choose to and it is not indicative of fair market value.

If you are trying to stay away from selling on eBay, you can try to go through one of the larger auction houses like Heritage, Stacks and Bowers, or Great Collections. There is also a site called HiBid that is gaining in popularity in the last year. I have no experience with any of those and I only sell on eBay. Regardless of eBay or other highly reputable auction houses, you have to remember that any of them are going to want their cut in fees. Selling to a dealer will also result in money taken off the final price by the dealer as they only buy at a discount in order to be able to resell and make their own profit.

I believe Sedwick's specializes in these types of coins, I'm not sure if the prices realized are any better or worse than the other auction houses mentioned though. Your best bet would be to do a little studying and make a determination as to the value of the piece, referencing past auction archives at all of the sites mentioned would probably be sufficient in determining an estimated value. Once you've determined a general sell price you could potentially sell it in a private sale with some effort, if you're not concerned about getting top dollar then listing it with an auction house would be a good option.

https://www.sedwickcoins.com/