• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Are All The Cheerio's Dollars?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

If I have this correct, there were 5,500 Sacagawea Dollar enhanced tail feather (Cheerio's Dollars) minted back in 2000.  That's 24 years ago!!

I checked and counted all three (PCGS, NGC and ANACS) pop reports. If I'm looking at the number correctly, there is a total of only 212 ever graded. 

Where are the rest?  Are you going to say; Still floating around in circulation?  In the bottom of sock draws? Still in the cereal boxes? 

I rarely see any "legitimate ones" for sale.

Your thoughts..

Edited by tj96

I hope you don't hold this against me, but for a number of excellent reasons, e.g. 1- being clads; 2- being manganese-brass (which gives it a creepy, greasy feel; and 3- relegating mottos to the edge, I am glad they sacked the sac's. Right now, one of the most beautiful designs produced by the Mint is not even released for circulation. If you want 'em, you have to buy 'em.  Now ain't that a kick in the head.  doh!

On 3/16/2024 at 9:58 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I hope you don't hold this against me, but for a number of excellent reasons, e.g. 1- being clads; 2- being manganese-brass (which gives it a creepy, greasy feel; and 3- relegating mottos to the edge, I am glad they sacked the sac's. Right now, one of the most beautiful designs produced by the Mint is not even released for circulation. If you want 'em, you have to buy 'em.  Now ain't that a kick in the head.  doh!

It didn't actually answer my question but thank you for the feedback.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:53 AM, tj96 said:

It didn't actually answer my question but thank you for the feedback.

I am going to answer your question, but not because you are twisting my arm and it hurts.  I took a lightning quick refresher course and picked up a thing or two. Let me ask you this. When these things were placed in cereal boxes, were they accompanied by any written statement and, if so, what did it say? What was the precise wording? The exterior of the boxes, I would imagine, were devoid of any hint as to what may have been placed inside, so that little bit of info would go a long way of indicating their final fate. Do you, or anyone know? 

On 3/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am going to answer your question, but not because you are twisting my arm and it hurts.  I took a lightning quick refresher course and picked up a thing or two. Let me ask you this. When these things were placed in cereal boxes, were they accompanied by any written statement and, if so, what did it say? What was the precise wording? The exterior of the boxes, I would imagine, were devoid of any hint as to what may have been placed inside, so that little bit of info would go a long way of indicating their final fate. Do you, or anyone know? 

I'm just wondering what thing or two you picked up with your lighting quick refresher course?

You need the precise wording?  The exterior of the box was not quite devoid of any hint as to what may have been placed inside.

This information does not go a long way to answering my question of indicating their final fate.   But maybe you can digest all this and come up with a answer. Good luck!

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 2.59.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 3.10.43 PM.png

@tj96 I would assumed some of Cheerio gold dollars were probably spend and sent into circulation that’s only thing I can think of happened or folks tossed them in dresser and jewelry box …. It wasn’t discovered until much later they were scarce and worth some $$$$ to coin collectors , most of the general population is not aware of this ? What happened to boxes that did not sell at time with Cheerio coin inside every store removes expired boxes in timely manner

about 5-7 years ago I had a guy at work literally at candy and pop machine everyday he would put $5 in machine hit release button it would give back $5 in gold dollars … He knew i was coin collector , he would always bring them to me asking if any were the Cheerio dollars i think he did that to get on my nerves somedays  … I was like No , No , No , No , NOPE ! now get out of my area Johnny !!!!! I got so tired of looking at them 

On 3/16/2024 at 3:45 PM, Jason Abshier said:

@tj96 I would assumed some of Cheerio gold dollars were probably spend and sent into circulation that’s only thing I can think of happened or folks tossed them in dresser and jewelry box …. It wasn’t discovered until much later they were scarce and worth some $$$$ to coin collectors , most of the general population is not aware of this ? What happened to boxes that did not sell at time with Cheerio coin inside every store removes expired boxes in timely manner

You might be right about the general public not being aware of these.  Most all collectors know about this coin and have been searching for them for 24 years.  From my calculation, very few have turned up.

Excellent detective work! And for me, five (count 'em) exhibits, I had never seen before!  Fantastic!  And your answer is right there in the details...

The cereal boxes were marked and not a single truck shipping cereals was hijacked.  You know why? Because as @Jason Abshier ably pointed out, even the U.S. Mint was unaware anything was amiss in the production lines and it wasn't until FIVE FULL YEARS later that a variety was discovered, submitted by a member to a TPGS (NGC) which dubbed the find as pattern reverse of 1999 to distinguish it from a non-pattern reverse of 2000.  

For years 5-1/2 thousand of these were ultimately released into circulation.  Of the 282,000,000 people living in the United States upon its release, only a nominal percentage were collectors and of those, an even lesser number were devotees of errors and varieties. Put another way, there was one of those special Cheerios coins (no apostrophe needed) for a little over every 50,000 people.  I believe Jason (I cannot refer to him as JA 🤣 ) advanced the most likely scenario: they were simply lost in the sauce of humanity.  The inadvertent discovery came far too late for anyone to do anything about it.  Although it has not been deemed as such, I would venture to guess the anomaly identified, involving fine details, may be attributed to what today would be referred to as a First Strike. Ten million Sacagawea dollar coins were minted in the year 2000. Although the Chat Board Guidelines do not require doing so, I would suggest any member who comes across this relic be obligated to surrender it voluntarily and  unconditionally to the OP,  posthaste.  :roflmao:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.