• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This ? 2021-W American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin - Strike Thru Mint Error?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi
i got this coin on ebay, says its a mint error but now that I look at it it looks like a scratch.

could this be an error?
thanks

58cb855f-9665-4abf-b68f-55d57e14e6f3.jpg

f8c09c0b-aa3f-4477-a8b7-75b6a7afc3d4.jpg

0abe8fad-2441-4799-a483-9642226d36b7.jpg

698d4896-3d9c-4027-b085-e4babd3eb69e.jpg

a8aeb7e7-adee-470c-9bac-5f5b2432503e.jpg

Welcome to the forum

That is not a mint error, it is a small gouge. You can see the displaced metal
that would not be present if it was a Struck Through.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would have to say your coin is scratched. Strike through errors do not look like that.

Just because it says in an eBay listing that it is an error, the onus is on you to do your due diligence and homework before you purchase a coin. This also applies to buying a coin raw in person. If the dealer told you it is a mint error just to unload a scratched coin, once he had your money and you walked out the door with it, in his head, he would be saying "SUCKER!". On eBay, however, there is a ton of damaged coins and circulated coins for sale by sellers claiming such damaged or worn pieces are mint errors and worth premium values. Most of these are scammers who are ready to take your money and then disappear off of the platform. A few of them are people who don't collect and just don't know what they are talking about.

I don't know how long you have been collecting coins, but error coins are a niche in the hobby and it takes a large amount of time invested in learning errors which is an advanced area of numismatics. If you choose to not want to invest that kind of time in gaining knowledge of errors to be able to tell what is and what is not an error coin, you should only buy errors already slabbed and certified by one of the big TPG's.

Sorry you got "taken" here, but in the future you might want to post a pic of the coin you are interested in here BEFORE you buy it and ask us to provide you with our assessments beforehand so you don't lose money.