• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mystique Of Mistakes On
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 7:32 AM, Errorists said:

our coinage is often funny, imaginary and can be collectable. 

6 hrs. in, the suspense is killin' me.  Lost in translation? . . . or more to come?. . .

The mystique of mistakes can be fun, but the mistaken application of mystique is a damnable problem, and far more common.

Numysmatism.

An affliction characterized by a prolonged, sometimes lifetime proclivity or insatiable fascination with what numismatists regard as an inordinate amount of time collectors, so mesmerized, spend in the obsessive, compulsive pursuit of their specific flight of fancy: coin errors, their discovery, acquisition, identification and classification by the applicable formal terminology used e.g., "proof die cracks," etc.

To my knowledge, no effective cure has yet been found.

On 3/12/2024 at 7:50 PM, Henri Charriere said:

no effective cure has yet been found.

But there has - seeking as close to perfection as can be found, and discovering that is the true soul of numismatics, rather then seeking imperfection. So am I violating some sacred creed to encourage “collect what you like”? I really don’t believe so. Many people urge others to “practice what you preach”, when the greater sin by far is the failure to “preach what you practice”, a sin that only seen as a virtue by modern “Kum Bah Yah” hippie culture. Not all approaches are equally valid, and they never have been throughout history. There are successful and unsuccessful approaches to literally EV-ER-Y-THING in life, and the failure to preach the successful ones is cruel to the new learners. It consigns them potentially to years of unfruitful pursuits recommended only by clickbait artists. 

https://www.selfimprovementdailytips.com/podcast/preach-what-you-practice

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/12/2024 at 9:17 PM, VKurtB said:

But there has - seeking as close to perfection as can be found, and discovering that is the true soul of numismatics, rather then seeking imperfection....

Troo dat!  The only alternative is unpalatable: incapacitation in a strait jacket for life.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, VKurtB said:

But there has - seeking as close to perfection as can be found, and discovering that is the true soul of numismatics, rather then seeking imperfection. So am I violating some sacred creed to encourage “collect what you like”? I really don’t believe so. Many people urge others to “practice what you preach”, when the greater sin by far is the failure to “preach what you practice”, a sin that only seen as a virtue by modern “Kum Bah Yah” hippie culture. Not all approaches are equally valid, and they never have been throughout history. There are successful and unsuccessful approaches to literally EV-ER-Y-THING in life, and the failure to preach the successful ones is cruel to the new learners. It consigns them potentially to years of unfruitful pursuits recommended only by clickbait artists. 

https://www.selfimprovementdailytips.com/podcast/preach-what-you-practice

But I attained the unattainable the imperfect perfect coin. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:00 PM, Errorists said:

But I attained the unattainable the imperfect perfect coin. 

Or is it (drum roll please) the perfect imperfect coin?

On 3/14/2024 at 6:26 AM, VKurtB said:

Or is it (drum roll please) the perfect imperfect coin?

Some of his wares are not only perfect imperfects -- but unique.  Who knows, this gentleman may very well have the last laugh.

On 3/14/2024 at 7:58 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Some of his wares are not only perfect imperfects -- but unique.  Who knows, this gentleman may very well have the last laugh.

A unique coin without a buyer is worth nothing. The problem with “finders” is they increase supply, but not demand. 
Of course, that MIGHT be why he’s here, to try to gin up demand, but I’ve never seen it work. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, VKurtB said:

A unique coin without a buyer is worth nothing. The problem with “finders” is they increase supply, but not demand. 
Of course, that MIGHT be why he’s here, to try to gin up demand, but I’ve never seen it work. 

I wonder how demand was gauged for the Ford Edsel, the Ford Mustang -- the Rubik's cube and Pet Rock. A member here conceded (elsewhere, on a different post) that he was partial to the Birch Cent with that wild head of hair on that survey the Mint undertook recently -- such a one you could not possible introduce to your mother or father. There is no accounting for taste.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:13 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I wonder how demand was gauged for the Ford Edsel, the Ford Mustang

Over- and under-, in that order.