• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does "Quality Control/Finalized" mean in grading process?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

My friend submitted an ancient gold coin for grading and received an invoice of around $200 with a status "Quality Control/Finalized", so any idea what the status (Quality Control/Finalized) means please?

Edited by JazzKh

On 3/11/2024 at 10:01 AM, JazzKh said:

Hi,

My friend submitted an ancient gold coin for grading and received an invoice of around $200 with a status "Quality Control/Finalized", so any idea what the status (Quality Control/Finalized) means please?

Yah. It is being looked at critically by other sets of eyes to correct any potential errors. It’s completely normal. 

This is the final stage before the coin is shipped back to the owner, at which time the awarded grades will be revealed. If the quality control inspection reveals some issue with the holder, description, or grade, it could revert to an earlier status to correct the issue, but most likely the next status will be "Shipped".

Posted (edited)

Thanks, so the status "Quality Control/Finalized" means that coin is already encapsulated taking into consideration the amount of the invoice which should be paid? 

Edited by JazzKh

Yes, the coins have been encapsulated. Your friend should have expected the amount of the invoice, unless NGC determined that the coins had been submitted in too low a tier, about which he may have received prior notice.  

Note: Be aware that if the submission stays in QC/F for an extended period of time there may be an issue with your coin or payment methods on the account. Average time (standard tiers) spent in QC/F is 1 week. If you get no change after 1 week, contact NGC.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Does nobody else pay for grading up front? I have never NOT paid up front, by card, with the submission. 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:37 AM, VKurtB said:

Does nobody else pay for grading up front? I have never NOT paid up front, by card, with the submission. 

If you have a card on file with NGC they do not actually charge the card until the coins are finalized. They do this in case changes were made to an increased value tier of a coin submitted or submission requires extra charges. 

On 3/15/2024 at 6:50 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If you have a card on file with NGC they do not actually charge the card until the coins are finalized. They do this in case changes were made to an increased value tier of a coin submitted or submission requires extra charges. 

Hmm. I have never had an order that NEEDED anything changed. I guess my ability to CORRECTLY fill out an NGC form makes me a unicorn?

On 3/18/2024 at 9:07 AM, VKurtB said:

Hmm. I have never had an order that NEEDED anything changed. I guess my ability to CORRECTLY fill out an NGC form makes me a unicorn?

It makes you some kind of corn yes. Unicorn, Bicorn, Tricorn, Quadcorn, Quincorn, Sextcorn, but definitely corny.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 3/18/2024 at 11:07 AM, VKurtB said:

In nearly 500 submissions, I have only had one Mercury Dime changed to a higher tier which I thought was borderline so I went with the lower tier. I think I am doing pretty well on my self grading.