• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2016 USA nickel
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I assume you want to know what happened to it?  Someone hammered another coin into it, possibly even a piece of pipe.  Badly damaged,

Welcome to the forum

As stated, just a badly damaged coin. There is no possible.  
way that could happen when the coin was struck.
In the future, one clear photo of each side plus a photo of the
area of concern is sufficient. Multiple photos are not required.   
Also please state what your question is so we don’t have to guess.

Edited by Greenstang

@IronCoinhunter13 :

Based solely on the photographic evidence provided and the comments of crime scene investigators, your coin was not a result of mint-produced damage or error. Consequently, I am afraid I am going to have to withdraw my offer of $2.3 million for your Jefferson nickel of relatively recent vintage.  :whistle:

Well ty all for your fast responses.My 19 year old autistic Son Wisky and I, (Chance) have been trying to collect coins now for about 12 years.Iam A union Ironworker by trade so iam on the road alot.Some times I find A cool coin here or there tho.Anyways Wisky is high functioning autistic. So He well be playing on here some without me iam sure.He loves silver!Back to the coin...I guess my only question about it is if it's faked why a 2016 nickel?...and how did they make the digits go up the coin the same?Seems like alot to me.Ty all for helping my Son and I.we look forward to a long time if collecting coins together. 

Nobody said that is fake, it is a genuine nickel. What we said is it is damaged. 
Whatever happened to it, no matter the cause happened after the coin was struck.  
It is  known as PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

Just google “vise job coin” and you’ll see tons of them of every year and denomination. Welcome to you and your son.

Contrary to what you may have read on some websites or seen in internet videos, it is in fact extremely unusual to find any significant mint error, die variety, or other coin with substantial collector value in circulation.  I have now been collecting and studying U.S. coins and checking my and others' change for nearly 53 years and have never found any coin, error or otherwise, worth more than a few dollars.  I know only one person who ever has. Since 2002 the U.S. Mint has had procedures that I understand make it nearly impossible for a major error of the sort that results in a misshapen coin from leaving the mint. I am told that, even before that, most such pieces were usually intercepted at banks and counting houses and sold directly to coin dealers. Most errors offered for sale, such as by Sullivan Numismatics, are in uncirculated condition.  I'm not suggesting that you and your son stop looking, but you shouldn't expect much.

It would be best for your son to learn the basics of collecting U.S. coins, such as the history of U.S. coins, types, which dates, mints and major varieties are valuable and grading before getting into more advanced topics such as mint errors. (Do you have a recent edition of the "Redbook", a grading guide, and a subscription to a current price guide?)  See the following forum topics for suggestions of basic print and online resources:

If you want an overview of what constitutes a mint error, see the following articles on the NGC website:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive treatment of mint errors, see the site error-ref.com.

On 3/10/2024 at 10:43 AM, IronCoinhunter13 said:

I guess my only question about it is if it's faked why a 2016 nickel?...and how did they make the digits go up the coin the same?Seems like alot to me.Ty all for helping my Son and I.we look forward to a long time if collecting coins together. 

Some people have more time on their hands and the alure of "getting one over" on someone can be the real game when faking errors.   I'm not saying that this coin was done in an effort to deceive, although it may have been simply that if you can take a nickel and turn it into a dollar or two there are those who say sure why not.   At the worst they are only out a nickel.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Coinbuf

Hello and welcome!

There seems to be a rash of new people coming here and posting all kinds of damaged coins they believe to be errors in the forums here, so it seems people are getting this information from somewhere, likely a social media outlet where you can post a video whether or not the information you are purporting to know has been vetted or not. I would say in my estimation, since the internet became largely popular in the 1990's, that there is more MISinformation on it than there is correct information on it.

We cannot surmise why people do the things they do to coins (hammering, vise jobs, making Texas cents, campfire coins), or whether they do these things out of curiosity to "see what happens if I do this...". I would say, though, there has been an uptick in recent years of these damaged coins appearing along with the question of "What is my error coin worth?". In correlation with that, I would say there are more of these kinds of things being made to defraud. I have also noted the same thing in the marketplace on eBay where you can search for almost any coin type and any year you can think of in modern coins (less of 60's-70's and more of 90's and on and for sure 2000's on), do a search on there and you will come across stuff like yours with asking prices of $200, $500, and sometimes in the thousands of dollars claiming them to be unique errors. These are scammers. If they can take a nickel, damage it, list it, and wait for some unknowing sucker to come along and give them $500 or more, they just made a huge profit. And they will surely disappear as a seller on the platform as soon as they get the money.

There are truly not many modern mint errors out there, and the few I have come across have all been strike through errors which look nothing like your coin. Most on here have not found a single modern error coin in the wild. Older error coins have all long been pulled from circulation and I would project most of them have been graded by one of the big TPG's.