• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1834 Large Cent, what would be the grade on this cent?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

In my opinion, the posted coin would grade as VG details. The remaining details are commensurate in my opinion with VG but I think this would get a details grade for cleaning and rim damage. Just my humble opinion.

I shall let the others provide you with their opinions as mine is only one of many.

Old coppers are hard to get in unimpaired examples, especially raw. Due to the age, metal (the planchets back then were not of the highest quality), and circulation abuse, it is difficult to achieve a high grade on and uncirculated to gem examples will cost a high premium.

Most old coppers I have come across have some type of impairment from cleaning, corrosion, rim damage, bent, scratched, smoothed, whizzed, and general circulation impairments. I have yet to get a reasonably priced one to grade in uncirculated and most of my submissions have returned as details graded. I plan to change that soon but I know it is going to cost me premium $$$.

There seems to be enough detail to just support a F12 grade, but it would never receive a straight grade due to the heavy circulation damage and the color makes it appear to have been cleaned/dipped.

The inner hair cord is just barely complete, so it might just meet the ANA Grading Guide requirements for Fine, but it could also be called a VG-F or VG 10 in terms of details, but it has enough rim damage and evidence of "cleaning" that it would likely receive a "details" grade.

This 1834 large cent is of the Large 8, Small Stars, Medium Letters "Redbook" variety, which comprises two Newcomb die varieties, N3 and N4. This coin appears to be an N4, said to be the scarcer of the two die varieties, but still relatively common.  

On 3/9/2024 at 6:36 PM, Sandon said:

The inner hair cord is just barely complete, so it might just meet the ANA Grading Guide requirements for Fine

I went with the overriding factor of the reverse and the fact that you cannot see any of the lines in the middle of the leaves (in F you can barely see some lines and other leaves have a partial line in them) as well as the rim inward seems to be more worn than the obverse and the denticles have pretty much faded into the worn rim, which if a grader went with that as the overriding factor it would stay as a VG. I have had several coins with one side "better" than the other and they all have seemed to taken on the lower of the grades.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:47 PM, RWB said:

Don't know what it "would be," but it is Very Good grade with a lot of bumps and dings - A TPG would likely call it "details," or possibly "Fred," "Maury," or "Ermaline."

Or you could hug it, and cuddle it, and kiss it, and call it George.

IMG_2459.webp

As a rank amateur with an admittedly overgraded Negative Three (-3) I.Q., and no familiarity with Large Cents whatsoever, I am inclined to fall in with the group that assessed it as Very Good. I believe Fine would be pushing the envelope for the reasons as articulated hereinabove by a bevy of collectors better acquainted with this series. There are resources I assume you have consulted which I have not set eyes on in 50 years, such as the industry-standard reference known as the "Red Book," and possibly Photograde, or I suppose you can cheat and pore over eBay listings which presumably feature Large Cents which closely approximate the condition of your coin. Malhereusement (yup, look it up) the bad factors [the various elements falling under the umbrella acronym, PMD, (post-mint damage)] outweigh, some may say, overwhelm, the good.  Overall, with this acquisition, you've done very good. Oops, I meant well.  Very well.  🤣

Posted at the discretion of Moderators.

In all seriousness,1834 is early enough that some slack is usually allowed in grading with some dings. This is near the line. This slack starts to disappear by 1838-40, usually.