• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Holder Recs
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

Came across my collection from when I was a kid.  About 100 US coins ranging from 1862 Indian Head and 1879 Morgan to Bicentennial Quarters. 

Nothing terribly valuable but they're in the circle plastic center/ stapled square cardboard holders and I'd like to move them to something more durable and protective.

Suggestions as to what might be best?  Snap holders?  Slab holders?  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.. FYI , the circle plastic center/ stapled square cardboardholders  are called Flips. A lot easier to say and type! Lol 😆 

any holder made for the proper sized coin is fine except nothing made of PVC as it can badly affect coins. “Airtite” holders are good. No holder is sealed other than third party graders such as NGC. Handle your coins with cotton gloves rather than bare hands. Feel free to post some pictures of examples.

Hello and welcome!

I would think the answer to your question lies in what you want to do with the coins. Just store them away? Display them? Frequently look at them? Also, it depends on how much space you have and want them to take up once put in the holder of your choice.

There are many choices nowadays to put your coins into. I don't think anything new is made with PVC as its damage to coins is widely known now.

I really can't specify for you what you should use as this will be a matter of your own personal choice/needs.

I would visit the website Wizardcoinsupply.com and take a look at all the different things they have to put your coins into and then you can choose after seeing what is available.

Whatever you end up going with, many members here will put a few dessicant packs into whatever large case/safe/box/etc. to help keep moisture from entering the capsules or books.

Also, make sure to handle your coins only by their edges so the oils from your skin do not get onto the surfaces.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:21 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Handle your coins with cotton gloves rather than bare hands.

Also....remember to put your hands in the gloves first.... I made the mistake of not doing that and some of my 1860s proofs got scratched -- but just the gold ones....

;)

These are coins you've apparently had for some time.  Unless the flips have sustained damage, I would leave them right where they are.  Take an inventory of exactly what you have. Are there enough to organize them into type of coin?  If you have a Red Book it will give you a good idea as to what coins are worthy of being encapsulated. Certifications by TPGSs would not be cost-effective except for the more exceptional coins. For the time being, I would try to get a good grasp on what you have and its approximate worth. After everything has been identified, sorted out and inventoried, the regulars on the Forum will be happy to assist you with further inquiries.

On 3/7/2024 at 10:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Unless the flips have sustained damage, I would leave them right where they are. 

That's my opinion as well. If the coins are happy, the way they are, don't mess with them. No need to expose the coins surfaces to anything new. 

At the same time, coins of high value don't belong in 2X2 cardboard holders. They may be worth the cost of grading.

On 3/8/2024 at 7:23 PM, ldhair said:

That's my opinion as well. If the coins are happy, the way they are, don't mess with them. No need to expose the coins surfaces to anything new. 

At the same time, coins of high value don't belong in 2X2 cardboard holders. They may be worth the cost of grading.

Exactly.  We do not know what the OP collected nor how long they have lain dormant out of sight and mind. There is no telling what he may find.