• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S. Mint ANA Convention Souvenir Sets
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Archive correspondence I saw long ago indicates the Mint Bureau made several souvenir medals and coin packages for ANA use 40-50 years ago. I recall reading a note that said sales were poor and recommending ending the program. But I did not pay much attention to it back then.

On 3/7/2024 at 10:46 AM, RWB said:

But I did not pay much attention to it back then.

Story of your life, huh? It only becomes important to you when enough dust and mold grows on it. 

On 3/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Story of your life, huh? It only becomes important to you when enough dust and mold grows on it. 

NFN (Not for nothing) at least both of you HAVE lives; I don't. Some members cannot separate fact from fiction.  I am unable to distinguish among my better half's truths, delusions and outright hallucinations. She is incapable of lying or forming criminal intent. Psychiatric disability. Long story.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderators.)

On 3/11/2024 at 6:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

NFN (Not for nothing) at least both of you HAVE lives; I don't. Some members cannot separate fact from fiction.  I am unable to distinguish among my better half's truths, delusions and outright hallucinations. She is incapable of lying or forming criminal intent. Psychiatric disability. Long story.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderators.)

Not of my generation, but I watched my uncle take care of my grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer’s type breaks from reality. At least he never lost his cool in front of us, his brother’s family. He always seemed to take it in stride with great grace. My own father completely ignored me in his will, but my uncle Robert’s will made me a millionaire. He was quirky, but never mean. I taught him how to trade stocks on my computer. Now the trading I do is from the proceeds of his estate. Dad gave me numismatics, but naught else. I am now the family patriarch. I don’t have that many years left. I call it King Charles III syndrome.

My dad would have been 102 on July 3; uncle Robert died in June of 2017 at 101, and my grandmother, had she taken better care of herself, would be 135 this October, the same age as my Alabama home. 

Many families on Ancestry.com breed at 4x the rate of mine, seemingly.

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/11/2024 at 11:37 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Many families on Ancestry.com breed at 4x the rate of mine, seemingly.

My wife and I are the Last of the Mohicans.  After us, there is nothingness. We Walk the Line...

On 3/6/2024 at 9:54 PM, Sandon said:

Back when I attended college in Washington, D.C. in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I would go to the gift shop that the U.S. Mint (then the Bureau of the Mint) operated in the Treasury Building. The items offered for sale included these presumably leftover souvenir sets that had been assembled for the 1978 and 1979 ANA conventions. (As I recall, there was only a summer convention in those days.)  Although the items included in these sets are of no great value, the sets themselves are interesting mementos. I don't know how many were assembled and, while they might be found in dealers' "junk boxes", I don't remember seeing them in recent years.

The 1978 set, created for the 1978 convention in Houston, Texas, included a then new 1978-D Eisenhower dollar and a small bronze Lyndon B. Johnson medal, along with a card explaining that Eisenhower and Johnson were "Our Two Texas-Born Presidents".

scan0004.thumb.jpg.50f233d0817bbacf6a715f63b3a4ecf2.jpg

scan0003.thumb.jpg.d2c3eff01d9022e2f1ac2d0ea736cc4d.jpg

The 1979 set, commemorating the 1979 convention held in St. Louis, Missouri, included a 1978 Eisenhower dollar and a 1979-P Susan B. Anthony dollar (common narrow rim variety), plus a card entitled "The Old Gives Way to the New" with biographical information about Eisenhower and Anthony and information about the coins.  

scan0005.thumb.jpg.96689427ab674cd4c5b0e2aec2357510.jpg

scan0006.thumb.jpg.b54baf10fa8167ede6dfe6854bafc473.jpg

I don't know whether the Mint created souvenir sets like these for other ANA conventions, but it is likely that such sets exist. If you have any, please feel free to post them here.

I will have to keep an eye out for these in my travels.