• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to pick out a good Unc or Proof Set?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Any tips on picking out the best Unc or Proof set? Sometimes it seems like a trade off when picking through someone them. from the late 1950's to the early 80's. Toning and coin dings. Some are very good and some that are not so good. Is it good to pick a sealed set? Some of the early 60's are sealed proof sets. Is it good to pick a sealed one over a opened one? They are usually very inexpensive. Yesterday I picked up 1971 and 1972 proof sets for $4 each and 1980 and 1981 unc  for $6 each. Nickels you can almost never find stairs in the unc. When I get the sets home I put a extra piece of cardboard in the envelope so they can't hit or rub anything or each other. 

On 3/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Any tips on picking out the best Unc or Proof set? Sometimes it seems like a trade off when picking through someone them. from the late 1950's to the early 80's. Toning and coin dings. Some are very good and some that are not so good. Is it good to pick a sealed set? Some of the early 60's are sealed proof sets. Is it good to pick a sealed one over a opened one? They are usually very inexpensive. Yesterday I picked up 1971 and 1972 proof sets for $4 each and 1980 and 1981 unc  for $6 each. Nickels you can almost never find stairs in the unc. When I get the sets home I put a extra piece of cardboard in the envelope so they can't hit or rub anything or each other. 

Those are the average prices for old proof sets and mint sets. The proof sets before 1964 in envelopes from the mint were never sealed so if it is someone did it. Almost all the uncirculated mint sets are not perfect coins and never were. You get what they give you in the old mint sets.  

On 3/6/2024 at 10:50 AM, Halbrook Family said:

For example picking out a 1960 proof set that the envelope is sealed don't mean it's in mint shape then? 

As JP said the mint didn't seal the envelops, so finding a sealed set is a sign that someone has already looked it over to see if the coins were worth submitting.   Doesn't mean that the sets are not original, or that the coins are not nice, just that someone looked at it and decided to pass it along.

If your goal is just to acquire a full run of proof or mint sets there is no reason you cannot buy a sealed set, but personally I prefer to see what I'm buying vs rolling the dice.   However, many people prefer the gamblers approach, just depends on you and your preference.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, Halbrook Family said:

For example picking out a 1960 proof set that the envelope is sealed don't mean it's in mint shape then? 

It is a proof set the envelopes are not sealed from the mint. the coins are as good as they get. Just because it is sealed does not mean the coins will be in better shape. It may be sealed to hide the bad coins?

On 3/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Any tips on picking out the best Unc or Proof set? Sometimes it seems like a trade off when picking through someone them. from the late 1950's to the early 80's....

I think it best to make a clear distinction between Mint [Uncirculated) Sets by year, and Proof Sets by year, or range of years, as changes were made in packaging

Speaking from experience, I do recall Proof Sets in the early years coming in standard, square, sealed sets. A member posted a cell photo of one. Another volunteered the year the changeover from cardboard flat boxes to quality paper envelopes took place.

With the advent of financialization of the hobby, no doubt spurred by TPGS, still sealed boxes became rare.  The interesting thing about the flat boxes was its contents, i.e., year, was not indicated on the box.  Dealers penciled them in presumably by year postmarked.  I do not recall any Mint set coming in a sealed white envelope in the 1960's, but then again, their cost was economical by today's standards.  Prices being what they are today, you cannot rectify an error that may had been made unless you examine the product. [The only exception to this common-sense advice today is forwarding an unopened Monster Box of ASE directly to a TPGS for time-sensitive certification and First Strike/First Day of Issue attributions.]

Just curious... Is there a reference a member can consult which definitively states how Proof and Uncirculated sets were originally packaged from the mid-1930's on? I think it would be useful to know as some collectors truly believe some sets were issued in "original" lucite holders.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:00 AM, Coinbuf said:

As JP said the mint didn't seal the envelops, so finding a sealed set is a sign that someone has already looked it over to see if the coins were worth submitting.   Doesn't mean that the sets are not original, or that the coins are not nice, just that someone looked at it and decided to pass it along.

If your goal is just to acquire a full run of proof or mint sets there is no reason you cannot buy a sealed set, but personally I prefer to see what I'm buying vs rolling the dice.   However, many people prefer the gamblers approach, just depends on you and your preference.

That's what I thought. I didn't really want to buy what I can't see. I am trying to get the full run of the sets. I believe that 1981 is the last unc in white envelope. The last proof I believe that is in a envelope is 1964.  1965 sms. is in envelope. I haven't check for the varieties though. Not likely I'll find some of them. I forget. What is the difference between the 1975 s 3 coin set and the 1976 s 3 coin set? Red envelope vs little blue case? Then what is the 3 coin or is it six coin PD 1975 proof? 

My proof sets start in 1957 and my unc start in 1959. I don't think I have seen any of the earlier ones. 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:46 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I do not recall any Mint set coming in a sealed white envelope in the 1960's, but then again, their cost was economical by today's standards.  Prices being what they are today, you cannot rectify an error that may had been made unless you examine the product. 

Just curious... Is there a reference a member can consult which definitively states how Proof and Uncirculated sets were originally packaged from the mid-1930's on? I think it would be useful to know as some collectors truly believe some sets were issued in "original" lucite holders.

I was talking about the 1959 to 1964 envelopes being sealed. They are a brownish color. I was talking about the late 50's to end of white  envelopes in 1981. Go to the coin store and there is just stacks of the 1959 to 1981. The quality of them is all over the place. 

On 3/6/2024 at 2:37 PM, Halbrook Family said:

What is the difference between the 1975 s 3 coin set and the 1976 s 3 coin set? Red envelope vs little blue case?

There is no "1975-S 3 coin set". The dual dated "1776-1976" 40% silver 3-coin sets were produced between some time in 1974 and the end of 1976 but, the coins are all the same (uncirculated or proof).  The 3-coin uncirculated sets were mostly sold in a red outer envelope, but some were sold in a Christmas-themed white envelope with red ink showing Independence Hall in the snow.  The 3-coin proof sets were sold in what I think you mean by the "little blue case", which had gold print and holes for the coins in their capsules.

Hmmm never seen the Christmas themed one.  I saw a 1975 quarter the other day. Is that thing minted by someone else besides the US mint? I think in the ad they mention they were mass produced but the person wants $500 for it. Insane. 

On 3/6/2024 at 2:52 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I saw a 1975 quarter the other day. Is that thing minted by someone else besides the US mint?

The Mint produced no quarters, half dollars, or dollars dated 1975. Any piece so dated is a fake. Pieces of these denominations dated 1974 were produced until about mid-1975, and Bicentennial dual dated pieces were produced thereafter.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:52 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Hmmm never seen the Christmas themed one. 

I happen to have this one that I bought at the U.S. Mint's gift shop in the Treasury Building in Washington, D.C. in 1978 or 1979 for the original issue price of $9. The contents are identical to those in the sets in the usual red envelope.

scan0001.thumb.jpg.c8d58d1c5c39ef267663d1338c569bc9.jpg

On 3/6/2024 at 11:50 AM, Halbrook Family said:

On 3/6/2024 at 1:41 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I was talking about the 1959 to 1964 envelopes being sealed. They are a brownish color. I was talking about the late 50's to end of white  envelopes in 1981. Go to the coin store and there is just stacks of the 1959 to 1981. The quality of them is all over the place. 

Okay, this is fact: NONE, absolutely NONE of the 1959 to 1964 brown envelopes, nor the white 1965 S.S. envelopes, nor the white 1959-1981 envelopes, nor any other envelopes, were shipped sealed by the Mint. All were unsealed from Day One. If you find one sealed, some foole sealed it after owning it. Don’t EVER EVER EVER assume anything good about any sealed envelope. Someone is running a con.

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/6/2024 at 1:52 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Hmmm never seen the Christmas themed one.  I saw a 1975 quarter the other day. Is that thing minted by someone else besides the US mint? I think in the ad they mention they were mass produced but the person wants $500 for it. Insane. 

Dan Carr made 1975 fantasy overdate pieces. I believe he made all three denominations. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/6/2024 at 9:35 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Don’t EVER EVER EVER assume anything good about any sealed envelope. Someone is running a con.

There was ONE, only one instance I can recall of a USG agency selling a product in sealed envelopes, for an excellent reason. No, not the USM, but the USPS sold the original ultra-rare "Inverted Jenny" 24-cent Air Mail stamps in 1919. On its 2019 centennial, the rarer stamps featured the plane right-side up, denominated them at $2.00 each in a block of four for $15.00 and sealed the envelopes to prevent rummaging by postal employees. I had difficulty buying them because postal employees were not apprised of their existence. I still have a few envelopes, still unopened, and only found out this week some were sold individually for $100, and up, and for several hundred dollars per intact block of four.

If I recall correctly, the older flat-pack proof sets were  sealed and apparently dated by postmark.  In the photo of one you once posted, you can see the penciled notation as to the year the coins were minted in the manner mine were, a 1950 and a 1951. Other than that, I do recall Mint sets were sold in white envelopes with gummed seals, unopened.

On 3/8/2024 at 11:21 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Anyone have the 1975 quarter? 

I have 1975 proof sets and mint sets so yes, but the quarters halves and dollars have both 75+76 on them ;)

On 3/9/2024 at 9:07 AM, J P M said:

I have 1975 proof sets and mint sets so yes, but the quarters halves and dollars have both 75+76 on them ;)

No sir. 1776 and 1976, but neither 1975 nor 75 is anywhere on the U.S. Mint pieces. 

On 3/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, Henri Charriere said:

As I recall, there were only the dual-dated 1776 1976 Bicentennial sets, and the usual single date sets. No mixed dates, however collectors have found two coins of the same denomination in sets, but never any mixed dates.

There were no 1975 Ike’s, halves or quarters. The cents, nickels and dimes had normal 1975 dates. Can this all REALLY be so mysterious? All this happened about three weeks ago, right?