• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 steel penny
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have a 43 steel penny that weighs 2.7 and sticks to a magnet but is brown and 49% Cooper and the other 51% is ferris metal can someone with this kind of knowledge help me out with what I have.Did i discover a new 43 steele?

Edited by Waybro

On 3/6/2024 at 9:27 AM, Coinbuf said:

Your question has been asked and answered already. 

[Shopping around for a second opinion.  Who can blame him.]

On 3/6/2024 at 11:49 AM, Greenstang said:

If that is the same coin as your previous post, then the answers are the same.   
Reposting it doesn’t change the facts.

[True, but put yourself in his place, new and as yet unaquainted with the combatants on the Chat Board.  Hope springs eternal... if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.]  🐓 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:55 AM, Henri Charriere said:

[True, but put yourself in his place, new and as yet unaquainted with the combatants on the Chat Board.  Hope springs eternal... if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.]  🐓 

Or…., just bear with me a moment, he could realize people here actually know their stuff and believe them. But no, I guess that wouldn’t annoy enough people, right?

On 3/6/2024 at 6:58 PM, VKurtB said:

Or…., just bear with me a moment, he could realize people here actually know their stuff and believe them. But no, I guess that wouldn’t annoy enough people, right?

Point well taken.  In this endeavor, to quote Mark Twain, you have "lies, damned lies and statistics". Complicating matters are inconvenient truths and boatloads of opinions.  Mostly the latter.

In the real world, people will be brutally honest.  They will tell you you have NO chance of winning the Powerball lottery.  But someone somewhere always does.

The Gold Standard is the letter written by no less an authority than the Director of the U.S. Mint declaring, in so many words, no copper cents were minted in 1943 and the poor kid he addressed that letter to evidently considered the matter closed. He quietly put his coin away in a drawer. Then, after his death, the truth surfaced.

As long as there is a possibility, people will pursue it to the ends of the Earth. And it will be your job to enlighten them all, and do so nicely.  🤣

Henri
But if you ask the same question about the same coin, why would you not expect the same answers.   
In powerball you at least have a chance although slim of winning. In the case of the 43 cent there is    
zero chance that it is something special. You admitted yourself on the other thread that it is not an error.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:49 PM, Waybro said:

I have a 43 steel penny that weighs 2.7 and sticks to a magnet but is brown and 49% Cooper and the other 51% is ferris metal can someone with this kind of knowledge help me out with what I have.Did i discover a new 43 steele?

Ferris metal is that with which a type of wheel is made. Ferrous refers to alloys of iron. Your coin has been altered by being plated with copper. Why? SPECIFICALLY to fool people like you. 

On 3/6/2024 at 9:15 PM, Greenstang said:

Henri
But if you ask the same question about the same coin, why would you not expect the same answers.   
In powerball you at least have a chance although slim of winning. In the case of the 43 cent there is    
zero chance that it is something special. You admitted yourself on the other thread that it is not an error.

Allow me to answer, in kind. 

Re asking the same question about the same coin. Because in a crowd of members, there will very often be a knowledgable person not previously heard from who begs to disagree and comes armed with a compelling, diverging viewpoint. 

Re Powerball, a table game, or game of chance, it's like what Kenny Rogers sang in his song, "You have to know when to hold them. You have to know when to fold them." I don't recall anyone telling "Jeopardy James"  he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of becoming the all-time champ. But by the grace of God, he did.

Re the 1943 copper/bronze cent. It was not authorized and the young fellow who found one wasn't even looking for one.  It was a serendipitous discovery. Yet every door was slammed in his face.  Many species of bird and fish, thought be extinct have subsequently been found. In 1938, a living fossil, a coelacanth was found.  In coin collecting, as in most hobbies, there are the regular collectors and then there are the fanatics. They are obsessed with the thought that if there is one out there, they will be the one to find it. We all know there are many coins in many series that remain unaccounted for. You never know what tomorrow may bring.  🐓 

Re asking the same question about the same coin. Because in a crowd of members, there will very often be a knowledgable person not previously heard from who begs to disagree and comes armed with a compelling, diverging viewpoint. 

If the person was knowledgable, then they would come to the same conclusion as everyone else, they would not disagree.

On 3/7/2024 at 10:55 AM, Greenstang said:

If the person was knowledgable, then they would come to the same conclusion as everyone else, they would not disagree.

Our Grand Master laid down the gauntlet on one thread recently, and two striking things did not happen. He was neither challenged nor belittled. His tactic, if by happenstance or intent, is to sit by, let everyone have their say, and POUNCE!  Not all knowledgeable people agree and many forgo commenting to avoid the commotion that doing so would most assuredly ensue.  :popcorn:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add one word.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Ferris metal is that with which a type of wheel is made....

This is a curious statement made without elaboration. In the never-ending quest to broaden the hobby's "body of knowledge," I asked Ricky, Q.A.'s one-time sidekick, to research the matter further.  He came up with the following:

"The term Ferris wheel" comes from the maker of one of the first examples constructed for Chicago's World Columbian Exposition by George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. in 1893."  -Wikipedia

To the OP, once again, posting the same coin in a different section of the forum also does not change the face that it is a copper plated 1943 Steel Wheat Cent.