• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1853 Half Dollar DDR possible FS-801? Opinions requested
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Seated halves are not my main collecting interest. I picked this up for a 19th century type set. One of the things that attracted me to it was the doubling on the reverse and the small die crack in "OF". There is no variety on the slab and it was not marketed as a DDR or any variety.  PCGS graded it as AU50.

Can anyone confirm my opinion that it's FS-801?

Can anyone comment on the rarity/price of the variety in this grade?  Is it worth getting reslabbed with the variety confirmed by a TPG?

Thanks for any input.

1853 50C AU50 small.jpg

1853 50C AU50 PCGS white Rev small.jpg

I am not a collector of the series but my gut reaction is it is absolutely stunning, may be undergraded for a strong strike sporting intact denticular structure with truly minor, easily-overlooked PMD.  Putting it at AU-50, practically in EF's lap, seems awfully severe. I don't know from FS-801-- this does appear to be a DDR -- and this may also be something I never noticed before, but the left arrow appears to be noticeably higher, and not on the same horizontal plane, as its right counterpart.  I do not believe it should be resubmitted barring exigent circumstances, i.e. monetary considerations. That's one very lovely half!

On 3/6/2024 at 10:56 AM, Sandon said:

I also think that your coin matches the VarietyPlus photos of the FS-801, but bear in mind that there aren't many collectors of Liberty Seated half dollars by die variety, nor is a doubled die on such a coin as popular as it would be on a more recent series.  I doubt that it would be worth the expense and time of resubmission for a variety attribution, and you can record the variety in your own records. If you're considering selling it, you should check for additional recent auction records for pieces of this variety, or you could ask a Liberty Seated specialized dealer such as Osburn, Larry Briggs, or Gerry Fortin if they would pay a premium for it.

This is an excellent, very well thought out and articulated response.  Thanks for being generous with your time and helpful to the coin collecting community!

Thank you Sandon and everyone for your responses.  I'll keep the coin as is with a label maker note of DDR FS-801.  I was only considering the attribution/sell route if the premium was very significant.  Sandon, the dealer names you shared are very helpful and I may reach out to one if I decide to sell.