• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is NGC correct or mistaken about this Spanish Real?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

OK, NGC authenticated this coin as a Spanish Real from 1474-1504 at the time of Ferdinand V & Isabel I and from the Seville mint.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6640400-019/45/

1460-8-thu-feb-29-2024-220-am-96775.png1460-8-thu-feb-29-2024-220-am-46530.png

The strange thing is that on the cert page, they list it as (1497-1504)D SPAIN SEVILLE - SQUARE D FERDINAND V & ISABEL I REAL

yet on the coin, they list it as (1497-1504)S SPAIN SEVILLE - FERDINAND V & ISABEL I REAL

but in a cursory search I see that this is what that real should look like:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6674056

image.thumb.png.43db017aa8fe7dcd5f88188d77ef895e.png

I personally think that this real looks more like it is a real from John I's time 1379-1390 but the obverse lettering does not seem to line up but it's hard to tell.  Here is that real:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces104671.html

9-original.jpg10-original.jpg

What do the experts think?

Looks like a labeling error - what NGC calls a "mechanical error." They should correct it for free, but you might have to pay for shipping. I would contact customer service and see what they will do to straighten this out. Your coin definitely looks like a Juan I. 

Nice piece, by the way.

On 3/6/2024 at 4:04 PM, Just Bob said:

Looks like a labeling error - what NGC calls a "mechanical error." They should correct it for free, but you might have to pay for shipping. I would contact customer service and see what they will do to straighten this out. Your coin definitely looks like a Juan I. 

Nice piece, by the way.

Because Juan deserves another. 

On 3/6/2024 at 6:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Because Juan deserves another. 

Kurt, you’ve been noticeably quiet lately - how did your trip end up? Any spectacular finds?

On 3/9/2024 at 8:00 AM, Zebo said:

Kurt, you’ve been noticeably quiet lately - how did your trip end up? Any spectacular finds?

Not spectacular, no. Several nice pickups, though. On Wednesday, I am flying out of BHM to COS for the ANA National Money Show. Here’s what’s weird. Both Berlin AND Colorado Springs are three day shows. I have a “savant skill” for finding low airfares and accommodations at coin shows. Colorado Springs will be costing me faaaaaaarrrrr more to attend than Berlin did. It is NOT EVEN CLOSE. The ANA needs to find a way to either make the “Spring” show more affordable or make it bigger and longer and more important. Yes, part of this IS regional. Airfare from the Gulf States to the Rockies is obscenely expensive. From the Northeast is more reasonable. The ANA needs to be more concerned with affordability, or move the HQ to Washington DC as its Congressional Charter requires in black and white plain language.  

On 3/10/2024 at 8:46 PM, Zebo said:

Well maybe just outside of DC. DC is a mess.

But the ANA’s Congressional Charter says what it says. It is being observed only in its breach.

@Zebo :  Our frequent-flyer has cleverly sidestepped the fact, elicited by a member elsewhere, that he had flown to Berlin and, bottom-line, wound up purchasing a British coin minted in the U.S., or something to that effect. (I cannot cast any stones because I took a young lady to the Plaza Hotel over 50 years ago for "tea for two" and "petit fours."  The check, proffered on a silver platter by a waiter decked out in a crisp white uniform on a silver platter, came to $12.50. The prevailing minimum wage was $1.25.)

On 3/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@Zebo :  Our frequent-flyer has cleverly sidestepped the fact, elicited by a member elsewhere, that he had flown to Berlin and, bottom-line, wound up purchasing a British coin minted in the U.S., or something to that effect. (I cannot cast any stones because I took a young lady to the Plaza Hotel over 50 years ago for "tea for two" and "petit fours."  The check, proffered on a silver platter by a waiter decked out in a crisp white uniform on a silver platter, came to $12.50. The prevailing minimum wage was $1.25.)

‘Stralian, mate, down under. It was, however, a shilling, so the error is forgivable. And she’s a right looker, too. 

Edited by VKurtB