• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1873 Mexican 1 Peso gold coin question. second republic
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So, I found this 1873 1 peso gold coin at an estate sale and was wondering if it is worth sending to NGC to be graded, or is it a possible fake?

Its got some damage on the letters and numbers. I did quick research and found its a second republic gold coin with a weight of 1.692 and fineness of 0.875.

I have an old school scale and it weighed 1.7g. (my scale only goes to 0.05 accuracy) So, I did take it to the local coin shop and they said it was a "weird purity" and they machine that they had did not test 21k 

The NGC site says that only 1,221 were minted.  Thanks in advance.   

peso-back.jpg

peso-front.jpg

peso-weight.jpg

The following link is to a site called Numista where I looked up your coin. It looks damaged to me as if someone scraped some of the surface. While it is very difficult to tell if a coin is counterfeit from just photos, the weight seems to be nearly correct. Despite it's mintage number, several of these sold in 2023 for between $400-900. Yours if genuine would probably only get melt value with the damage involved. I don't see anything outstanding in the details that would tell me it is a counterfeit as the coin posted on Numista also does not seem to be very well struck.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3333.html

I would have another set of eyes check out this coin and try to determine it is genuine before spending the money to have it graded. From a numismatic standpoint, the grading would only be useful to certify that it is a genuine specimen. Grading however would not add any premium beyond melt to this coin with the amount of damage involved in my humble opinion.

Edited by powermad5000
more info

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Whether or not it is genuine, your coin is very likely a piece that was removed from jewelry, with severe damage from having been mounted that removed most of the letters and numbers from the upper reverse and evidence of having been polished to an unnatural brightness, with resulting hairline scratches. It would have to be a very rare coin to be worth submitting for third-party grading with these serious impairments.

The coin you have posted IMO is a counterfeit. The weak center strike of this coin is very very suspect. The coin looks to have been struck to LOOK worn. A gold coin that  is circulated will wear on the rims as well as the high points of the coin evenly. There is no resemblance to a real coin as well as spots of nickel or silver showing through this coin. I doubt it is solid gold. There has been lots of things done to this "coin". See a real one below. BIG difference.Picture 5 of 5Picture 4 of 5

On 3/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, Kramdog30 said:

I did take it to the local coin shop and they said it was a "weird purity" and they machine that they had did not test 21k

From the following NGC info 21k or 87.5% purity would be correct for that coin if legit.  You may need to visit a shop that has an XRF tester.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/mexico-second-republic-peso-km-410.2-1873-1905-cuid-1118721-duid-1444520

With the damage to the coin, including in the area of the mint mark on the reverse, that would likely knock it down close to melt so it wouldn't be worth submitting.

Edited by EagleRJO

I appreciate all for the replies. I can see how this could have been from a piece off of jewelry and was damaged badly 
I may ask around at another dealer to get  1 more opinion. 
Good day.