• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Errors or what the heck
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have 2 Morgan dollars with a 'band' that goes across the face of these coins, nothing on the back.  I first noticed it on an 1879 S Morgan.  On both coins the band is 5/8th inch wide.  The 1879 has a straight line going across the face of the coin at about a 45 degree angle, cutting through Liberty's lip.  It pretty much goes edge to edge.  You can feel the line like it is a scratch on the surface.  The coin itself is a little darker below this line.  Exactly 5/8th inch above the bottom line is a parallel line that goes from the first U in Pluribus to the second U in Unum.  This line is more difficult to see but the coin is a little darker above this line.  Looking through other Morgans I have I found the same parallel lines, 5/8th inch apart, on a 1921 Morgan.   These line cut directly across, 0 degrees, the bottom one just under her chin and the top line through her forehead.  Slightly darker toning below the lower line and above the upper line.  More difficult to see on the 21.  Both are normal weight, a little over 26 grams. See pictures.  Any idea what is going on here?

IMG_0746 (2).jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0746 (1).jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0743 (1).jpg

It looks like glue left over from scotch tape. Maybe a bath in some acetone would take it off. Just a soak for a bit and then a rinse with water no wiping or rubbing. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Neither of your Morgan dollars exhibits a mint error. Based on the photos, the coins have been exposed to or have remaining residue from some foreign substance, possibly adhesive tape as suggested by @J P M.  The green spots on the 1921 Morgan dollar are also indicative of surface contamination, possibly from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) as a result of long storage in a soft plastic flip.  Acetone may remove both of these residues, but see other forum topics regarding the safe use of this flammable substance.  I recommend that you then obtain proper holders, such as hard plastic capsules or "snap-tites" or mylar flips for these coins.