• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery coin - 1821 - most features worn smooth
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Not expecting this to be worth anything because the features on both sides are worn smoother than a baby’s bottom.  I’m just curious whether there’s enough there that anyone can tell me what it once was.  The only thing I can really still make out is the date “1821” and some stars around the margin.  Have no idea what that is on the back…maybe an eagle?  Came across it in a bunch of my great grandfather’s Knick knacks and am just curious.IMG_3100.thumb.jpeg.2143d97aa57407dcf00fa1cd300c8a5b.jpegIMG_3099.thumb.jpeg.ae5790a9b345b2398230fe07195ce440.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Your well-worn ("Poor" grade) coin is one of the earlier or "open collar strike" version of the Capped Bust design used on U.S. dimes (1809-27), quarter dollars (1815-28), and half dollars (1807-36). Your photos don't give me a good sense of the size of the coin, and I can't tell whether the denomination stated below the eagle is "10C.", "25C.", or "50C.". (Cropping your photos so that they show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin might help.) A dime of that era should have a diameter of approximately 18.8 mm, a quarter 27 mm, and a half dollar 32.5 mm. The half dollars should have a lettered edge.

The date elements, especially the numeral "2", do not appear to match the style for any of these denominations used on coins dated 1821. It is possible that your coin is a counterfeit that was made at around the time of the genuine coins to be passed as money rather than to deceive collectors. (Some collect such "contemporary" counterfeits, and it could be worth more to such collectors than the few dollars that the genuine coin would be worth in this low grade.)

Thank you both for your responses and also for the suggestions about including sizes and cropping future photos.  This one is definitely dime-sized and fits the 18.8 mm approximate size you mentioned.

I thought that the coin was a dime but wasn't sure.  For your and other readers' information, I am posting NGC photos of an 1821 large date Capped Bust dime in About Uncirculated or so condition. Note the shape of the numerals in the date, especially the "2". All large date varieties have this date style. There is a single "small date" variety that definitely doesn't match either. This is why I think that your coin is a contemporary counterfeit.

1821 10C MS

1821 10C MS

On 3/4/2024 at 1:23 AM, TedHartwell said:

Thank you both for your responses and also for the suggestions about including sizes and cropping future photos.  This one is definitely dime-sized and fits the 18.8 mm approximate size you mentioned.

That makes sense because the date's font size is more consistent with Capped bust dimes than with the larger denomination. I would grade if FA-2, myself, but either way the wear is too heavy for it to have much value.