• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 Penny
1 1

7 posts in this topic

2009 pennyI found and you can see the reverse  design on the obverse?  

Notcsurecif the dark spots are dirty marks just normal or part of the strike error!  To send or not to send in for grading or just sell outright on ebay or Facebook market etc? 

20231010_202020.jpg

20231012_192859.jpg

20231010_201938.jpg

20231010_202020.jpg

20231010_202028.jpg

Edited by Chesterdel25
Add one more photo

Hello and welcome.  Sorry, I don't see it either, maybe try different camera angles that could highlight the indicators of die clash possibility.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I also do not see the reverse design present anywhere on the coin you presented, even in the closeup photo. I do see a level of environmental damage across the surface on both sides and also some verdigris beginning at the forehead of Lincoln on the obverse. I would say even if this coin had a minor die clash that was showing elements of the reverse on the obverse (I am not seeing it here), with the environmental damage and verdigris, the coin would only be worth a few cents over face value due to the damage on it. Most collectors will not buy a coin that has verdigris on it, especially a modern cent.

I would not sell this coin anywhere. I would put it back into circulation.

Edited by powermad5000

Welcome to the forum

To have it graded would cost you $55-60.00 for a coin worth 1 cent.   
You are better off spending it.

Attached is the die clash overlay for a 2009 FY Cent to assist with pointing out where you see appropriate clash marks, as I also don't see that.

2009 1C FY Overlay.jpg

Welcome to the forum.   There are only two ways for the reverse design elements to show on the obv, from a clash (see the overlay that eagle posted above) or from indirect die transfer.   I do not see any indications of either of these in the photos that you have provided, it looks like a normal coin with some circulation damage and stains.