• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Dance! First Error Find
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I submitted two coins that I suspected to be errors.  Should have posted them first but trying to learn myself.  I’ll be darn if one hit! 

Don’t blow my steam and tell me there is no premium for it, I’m sure I’ll figure that out on my own. lol!   Neat though.
Curious now to see what it will grade.  
Where is my happy dance emoji??!!:takeit:

IMG_8167.thumb.jpeg.84180dde874307b6867f8115c2b74873.jpeg

Welcome!

Are there any photos, or additional information, accompanying your post?

On 3/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, Rob’s Coins said:

I submitted two coins that I suspected to be errors.  Should have posted them first but trying to learn myself.  I’ll be darn if one hit! 

Don’t blow my steam and tell me there is no premium for it, I’m sure I’ll figure that out on my own. lol!   Neat though.
Curious now to see what it will grade.  

IMG_8167.thumb.jpeg.84180dde874307b6867f8115c2b74873.jpeg

Congrats! :golfclap: There should be a decent premium for it, I would think anyway.

A doubled die is a variety not an error. 

On your submission form, which of "VarietyPlus" or "Mint Error" did you select for these coins? I have heard of submitters selecting the wrong classification and the coin not being attributed as a result, notwithstanding the $18 fee being paid.  

Although the mint does not intentionally produce coins from doubled dies, they are classified as die varieties instead of mint errors because the pertinent characteristic, in this case doubling, is in the die itself and should manifest itself in all coins struck from that die.  See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

The FS-101 1969-S doubled die quarter is listed in the latest (Sixth) edition of The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Varieties as well as in VarietyPlus. The Cherrypickers Guide shows valuations of $125 graded PF 63, $225 in PF 65, and $350 in PF 66.  You may wish to check recent auction results for prices realized. 

Here is one of the VarietyPlus photos. Doubling is also seen on "LIBERTY".

25c%201969S%20FS101d-817203-1572885893.jpg

I submitted as a variety plus cause that is where I found the photos to check.  You’re right, I call it an “error” but truly a doubled die.  Showing my newbie side but I knew to select variety plus on the form.

On 3/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, Rob’s Coins said:

Voila!   :roflmao: :banana:  

Way to go! Contrary what some newbies think when we tell them that the coins they think are errors or varieties are simply normal or damaged, most of us on this forum are delighted when someone actually finds something special in the wild. Congratulations!

Here is a happy dance for you. :whee:

Very nice Rob, how did you find this one. Did you pull that coin from a proof set?