• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Device Of A Coin?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2024 at 6:50 AM, Greenstang said:

No. 
A devise is the principal design element. As a crack was not part of the principal design,   
it would not be included as part of the design. A crack is part of the minting process.

So it's neither field nor device?

The field is the surface of a coin minus devices such a dates, mottos, legends, stars, rays, etc.  Though I never heard it described as such, every planchet starts life out as a blank field and though the rims be raised, they are not considered formal devices.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:11 AM, Errorists said:

Can a Die Crack on a coin be considered as part of the device of a coin since it is raised above the field?

Errorist, why did you ask ?

On 3/2/2024 at 11:17 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Errorist, why did you ask ?

In some cases it adds to the mystique of the coin or it's beauty. Some are even comical. In those cases it should be part of the design. I can give examples of each..

No, a die crack, which isn't part of what the coin's designers and engravers intended it to look like, isn't "part of the design." It is simply a manifestation of die failure.

You could also insist that a cow is a horse, but that wouldn't make it a horse.

How about a "steer?"  Can a steer be a "gelding"? Huhhhh?   Huhhhh? Is that were the design was changed by a "crack"?

;)

On 3/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, Sandon said:

No, a die crack, which isn't part of what the coin's designers and engravers intended it to look like, isn't "part of the design." It is simply a manifestation of die failure.

You could also insist that a cow is a horse, but that wouldn't make it a horse.

What if the engraver made the cow look like a horse?

On 3/2/2024 at 1:21 PM, Errorists said:

In some cases it adds to the mystique of the coin or it's beauty. Some are even comical. In those cases it should be part of the design. I can give examples of each..

I’m sure you can, but that doesn’t make it make sense to anyone else, and it doesn’t. 

I would be curious to some see some examples, as stated.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:33 PM, CIII said:

I would be curious to some see some examples, as stated.

Here is one known as a "Spiked Head". Kind of comical and mystic at the same time. Notice the crack is also UCAM.

Screenshot_20240304-200725_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240304-200747_Gallery.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 9:12 PM, Errorists said:

Here is one known as a "Spiked Head". Kind of comical and mystic at the same time. Notice the crack is also UCAM.

Screenshot_20240304-200725_Gallery.jpg

There ought to be a law against anyone enjoying a hobby this much.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:21 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There ought to be a law against anyone enjoying a hobby this much.

Isn't that what hobbies are for? :)

On 3/5/2024 at 8:26 PM, Errorists said:

Isn't that what hobbies are for? :)

You would think so.