• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 penny
1 1

44 posts in this topic

Vasquez,

It is evident that you are much more knowledgeable than everyone on this site.  Please do not allow our lacking knowledge to hinder your quest to achieve the unachievable.  Fly, fly, fly away!  (thumbsu

Edited by cobymordet
editied for reality

On 3/5/2024 at 2:35 AM, VasquezJ said:

Im positive its that coin sent it to NGC to get graded since last Wednesday and arrived on Thursday 9:14 am and submission was done for a 3 day turn around Walkthrough and over a week and a half later and status is still sitting on Received but was told I would receive coin back before the end of this week. Every minute that goes by feels like a week seriously but hopefully the grading process start today and get my coin before the end of this week. 

Well, when it comes back bagged, consider that your first tuition. As long as the otherwise wasted money buys you some knowledge, it wasn't a total loss.

Man the photo ain’t even close to looking like nothing real but like I said before I’m 💯positive it’s the coin I’m saying and I wish I had the results already because when I do I think it’s gonna get really quiet around here after that but only just a matter of time. 

On 3/5/2024 at 2:12 PM, VasquezJ said:

Man the photo ain’t even close to looking like nothing real but like I said before I’m 💯positive it’s the coin I’m saying and I wish I had the results already because when I do I think it’s gonna get really quiet around here after that but only just a matter of time. 

I don't know why people automatically assume that all of the members here get jealous when someone makes a new discovery. Go back and read the archived posts, and you will see that any time someone discovers something new or rare, the responses are always congratulatory and encouraging. We genuinely like it when someone finds something exciting or valuable in the wild, and if your coin were to be a rare find, we would all rejoice with you.

Unfortunately, this will not be the case here. As stated above, the mint never made a bronze coated cent in 1943, and bronze does not stick to a magnet. You will be disappointed, I am sure, by the results of your submission. Let it be a learning experience for you.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:33 AM, VasquezJ said:

Finally just said I should consider sending it for grading.

You are not doing yourself any favors in this forum with your approach.

Being you then have a 1943 Bronze cent that is worth around half a million dollars or so, you should have no problem submitting it to NGC for certification. Please do that, and then return to this thread and show us the coin certified in the slab. I'll wait...

I regard the magnet test to be definitive. All the other considerations, and there are a few, are secondary.  If a '43 "copper" sticks, you must acquit. And if you think education via certification is expensive, try ignorance. Second opinions should be sought discreetly.  Get into the habit of handling coins by their edges, however damaged they may appear to be.  Yes, even yours.

On 3/2/2024 at 1:24 AM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome!

The 1943 Bronze Transitional error cent worth hundreds of thousands of dollars would weigh 3.11g. The weight of 2.7g is for a typical 1943 steel cent. The fact that yours sticks to a magnet also confirms the fact that what you have is a normal steel cent. Your cent, therefore, was either painted or plated to try to make it appear that it is one of the insanely expensive bronze errors. Most likely it was created to try to defraud someone by tricking them into believing it is one of the expensive errors when it most certainly is not.

What you have now is just only a damaged steel cent because whatever was done to make it to deceive others has permanently damaged the original surface of the original steel cent.

I had it looked at today and it's 49% copper how could this be?

On 3/5/2024 at 8:55 PM, Waybro said:

Looked at by who?   How was this composition determined?   If you are not aware most handheld type of metal scanners only read a few mils of depth, so a plated coins will read as if it is copper but is not.   The details you shared when you started this thread tell us all that is needed.

This thread is getting hard to follow with the vasquez clown mucking it up.

Edited by Coinbuf

Would it read that much copper though basically half the coin?It is a xrf gun at the gold place im thinking it could be a transitional error

On 3/5/2024 at 9:24 PM, Waybro said:

Would it read that much copper though basically half the coin?It is a xrf gun at the gold place im thinking it could be a transitional error

Read what I wrote again, the gun only reads a few mills of depth, it is not reading all the way through the coin, thus your conclusion that half the coin is copper is wrong.   Half of the plating on the coin is copper, the base metal is steel, we know that because you said it sticks to a magnet.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/5/2024 at 9:55 PM, Waybro said:

On 3/5/2024 at 10:24 PM, Waybro said:

Before you continue with this, please stop and think for a minute.

If it is 49% copper, what is the rest of the coin????? If it were bronze, would it not be ALL bronze and nothing else?????

You are answering your own questions about this coin from the initial post. The weight, the sticking to a magnet. If it were bronze, it would weigh about 3.11g and not stick to a magnet. There is more copper in bronze than the 49%. Bronze is typically made from 80%-88% copper, and the rest is tin.

I am sure you are wishing you had one of these expensive and very rare cents, but everything you do to try to prove that what you have is one of them is only serving to disprove that what you have actually is not.