• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 penny
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I have this 1943 penny it's brown and weight is 2.7 grams it sticks to a magnet any way it's a error coin?17093627852705726001087086071118.thumb.jpg.0476ece0e0ca405732799254cc336e1c.jpg

Hello and welcome!

The 1943 Bronze Transitional error cent worth hundreds of thousands of dollars would weigh 3.11g. The weight of 2.7g is for a typical 1943 steel cent. The fact that yours sticks to a magnet also confirms the fact that what you have is a normal steel cent. Your cent, therefore, was either painted or plated to try to make it appear that it is one of the insanely expensive bronze errors. Most likely it was created to try to defraud someone by tricking them into believing it is one of the expensive errors when it most certainly is not.

What you have now is just only a damaged steel cent because whatever was done to make it to deceive others has permanently damaged the original surface of the original steel cent.

The fact that it sticks to a magnet is all you need to know that it is a steel cent.   
A copper cent would not stick. It is just a damaged coin know that it has been plated.

Minor adjustment --- a 1943 bronze cent is not a "transitional piece." That is, it was not intentionally produced to demonstrate what the coin would look like after a noticeable change. It was simply a mistake - an error - due to a few planchets being stuck in planchet bins.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, RWB said:

Minor adjustment --- a 1943 bronze cent is not a "transitional piece." That is, it was not intentionally produced to demonstrate what the coin would look like after a noticeable change. It was simply a mistake - an error - due to a few planchets being stuck in planchet bins.

An "error?"  :whatthe:  

Just to be clear, before you run off to Etsy, your non-copper steel coin is damaged: it is painted.  The bronze copper cent is the one that is rare and valuable.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct typo.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:07 AM, Henri Charriere said:

The bronze copper cent is the one that is rare and valuable

I think you meant the 1943 bronze cent.  Bronze contained mostly copper (95%), some zinc (5%) and small amounts of tin which is sometimes just referred to as a "copper" cent.  A magnet would not stick to a bronze cent.

For that year a cent struck on a brass planchet would be a "transitional error" as the cents were suppose to be transitioned to zinc coated steel.

Just curious...

An alloy comprised of copper and tin is called bronze. We refer to them as coppers.

An alloy of copper and zinc is called brass. We refer to them as coppers I guess because Cu predominates.

Oh, now I know why the Lincolns are called Zincolns. Only .08 copper.

And I just checked the steel cents.  Low-carbon steel, only .005" layer of zinc.

Which is the rarer of the two: a 1943 "copper," or a 1944 steel cent?

On 3/2/2024 at 7:51 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Which is the rarer of the two: a 1943 "copper," or a 1944 steel cent?

Just going according to NGC price guide values, the 1943 D bronze has none certified by NGC and is listed as $1,750,000. The 1943 S Bronze is stated to have half a dozen known and 5 certified by NGC with a highest listed price of $1,100,000. The 1943 (P) Bronze is stated to have 17 known and 13 certified by NGC with the highest listed price of $525,000. The 1944 steel cent is stated to be not as rare with only 4 certified by NGC and a highest listed price of $175,000. 

Make of that what you will but I would have to say the 1943 D is the most rare, and the 1944 steel is the least rare.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:20 AM, powermad5000 said:

Just going according to NGC price guide values, the 1943 D bronze has none certified by NGC and is listed as $1,750,000. The 1943 S Bronze is stated to have half a dozen known and 5 certified by NGC with a highest listed price of $1,100,000. The 1943 (P) Bronze is stated to have 17 known and 13 certified by NGC with the highest listed price of $525,000. The 1944 steel cent is stated to be not as rare with only 4 certified by NGC and a highest listed price of $175,000. 

Make of that what you will but I would have to say the 1943 D is the most rare, and the 1944 steel is the least rare.

What about the 1944 Belgian 2 franc piece?

Sorry for just jumping into this conversation you guys have going but why does the whole world keep saying that if a 1943 Lincoln wheat sticks to a magnet it’s a fake coin?? That’s not true because the 1943 that were struck in bronze stick to magnet. Just saying because believe it or not I personally found one of those coins myself. 

Found this coin near a minor house fire but most of the bronze coating scab off and darker brown spots are not rust but the bronze coating, coin has absolutely no damage whatsoever. Does not match any steel 1943 cent but it’s identical to the 1943 Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze Coated and yes it sticks to a magnet. 

Hi Vazquez,

On 3/5/2024 at 1:34 AM, VasquezJ said:

...any steel 1943 cent but it’s identical to the 1943 Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze Coated and yes it sticks to a magnet. 

Your coin looks silver-ish to me.  I think the discoloration is rust/rot/grime, it doesn't look brown like the bronze coin would, to me at least.  The fact that your coin sticks to a magnet is what all but guarantees it is a steel cent regardless of coloration.  81yrs. created an infinite number off possibilities leading your coin to be discolored in the manner that it is.  If you find the unicorn 1943 Bronze (P.D.S) and the coin does not stick to the magnet, then you are on your way to a nice coin.  Unfortunately, 81yrs. allows many people an ample opportunity to display their nefariously and just down-right durty artistic desire to deceive unwitting coin collectors.  I got a "great steel 1953 penny". . . some less intelligent people decided to paint a 1953 cent silver, but either failed to paint the rim or the paint probably, inevitably flaked off.  Limitless possibilities for the human effect to, but I believe your coin is a steel penny as it should be. 

On 3/5/2024 at 2:34 AM, VasquezJ said:

Found this coin near a minor house fire but most of the bronze coating scab off and darker brown spots are not rust but the bronze coating, coin has absolutely no damage whatsoever. Does not match any steel 1943 cent but it’s identical to the 1943 Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze Coated and yes it sticks to a magnet. 

All 1943 cents will stick to a magnet except the rare ones struck on leftover 1942 bronze planchets. Copper coated steel cents that stick to a magnet are normal steel cents that someone has copper plated to mimic the rare copper 1943. 

On 3/5/2024 at 2:24 AM, VasquezJ said:

Sorry for just jumping into this conversation you guys have going but why does the whole world keep saying that if a 1943 Lincoln wheat sticks to a magnet it’s a fake coin?? That’s not true because the 1943 that were struck in bronze stick to magnet. Just saying because believe it or not I personally found one of those coins myself. 

You have this backwards, the 1943 cents that stick to a magnet are the normal, extremely common steel cents, the rare bronze ones won't stick.  If a 1943 that looks bronze sticks to a magnet then it is a normal steel cent that has been plated.

Ha ha ha, too funny. Iv been in this game for roughly about a month an a half and have been studying and learning nonstop about mainly and mostly Lincoln 1C’s. Still got a lot more too learn but I guess you much not know much about the 1943 cents just by what your saying. I had 3 appraisals on line tell me exactly what your saying and even a coin dealer in person inspected and also said that the same thing and before he could let me talk he said he would bet me 10k that it was only a regular steel 1943 cent and said he had about a bucket full of them so I told him before we make a bet, compare my steel coin to as many coins you got in your bucket and i guarantee you my coin doesn’t look like none of the coins so he got a few hand full on his steel coins and started comparing my coin to his and noticed all of his coin looked the same and my coin looked different and didn’t even know how yo response after that and just said well sometimes coins come out different. Ha Ha Ha. I said not compare it to the 1943 no mint mark Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze Coated from on line so he did and then responded “well maybe it could be the coin but there’s a lot of fakes out there”. lol, I said, you still wanna bet 10k?? Finally just said I should consider sending it for grading. 

The same exact photos I posted up here are the same photos I dummied to everyone else have seen and for whatever reason can’t seem to get anyone's to understand that it’s a 1943 Bronze Coated but of course most of it came off due to the fire. Only person that recognized the coin with the exact same photos I submitted was Heritage Auction and literally to me to have it graded and they would sell it for me. Trust me Heritage won’t even bother with items worth less than 5k-10k depending on items and 1943 regular steel cents are practically only worth face value even if graded unless it’s a really high grade. 

All I ask is to look at the angles and shape of the date and details of the coin and please compare it to the genuine 1943 bronze coated and also compare to the 1943 steel and let me know what you see?

Look at all the details around his hair, around his face the sharpness around the whole coin and especially the date 

When I found the coin it was with other coins around it but seemed weird to me that only that coin had what I thought at the moment like maybe dark brown like auto paint or something but only that coin and got left behind in my pants and a day later I noticed it was on top of the washer so I grabbed it and figured I’d try scabbing it off to see what kind of coin or token it was but really hard and my wife was telling me that looks like copper what I was scabbing off is what she said and I remember responding to her “ ha ha when have you ever seen or heard of a coin scabbing off copper, it has to be something else” and kept kind of scabbing it off because I still couldn’t see what it was and finally noticed it was a 1943 steel cent but was curious about what was melted over the coin since it looked like copper and didn’t match none of the 1943 steel cents and after a while of researching on line I came across the 1943 bronze coated cent and did comparison and got exact match and that’s how I found out that it a 1943 No mint mark Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze coated. Kind of was in shock when I noticed the value of one of those coins but before I could get to excited i decided to summit it to Heritage Auction for an appraisal review and sure enough they to me to take coin to a local coin dealer which I did to have an in person inspection to make sure it was real so I did and they said ok now get it graded with recommend NGC and they would sell it for me. 

Im positive its that coin sent it to NGC to get graded since last Wednesday and arrived on Thursday 9:14 am and submission was done for a 3 day turn around Walkthrough and over a week and a half later and status is still sitting on Received but was told I would receive coin back before the end of this week. Every minute that goes by feels like a week seriously but hopefully the grading process start today and get my coin before the end of this week. 

On 3/5/2024 at 5:25 AM, VasquezJ said:

I found out that it a 1943 No mint mark Lincoln Wheat 1C Bronze coated

I'm sorry to say your coated coin will come back in a body bag as the rare 1943 cent error is solid bronze, not coated.  If you want to further discuss your coin please post a new topic instead of hyjacking someone else's topic.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:35 AM, VasquezJ said:

Im positive its that coin sent it to NGC to get graded since last Wednesday and arrived on Thursday 9:14 am and submission was done for a 3 day turn around Walkthrough and over a week and a half later and status is still sitting on Received but was told I would receive coin back before the end of this week. Every minute that goes by feels like a week seriously but hopefully the grading process start today and get my coin before the end of this week. 

Be sure to post the results. I just hope you believe NGC!

The US mint never made a 1943 Cent that was coated/plated with copper or bronze. I don't think NGC will even put the coin in a holder. If they do it will call the coin Details altered surfaces.

This coin was plated after it left the mint. They can be bought for about a dollar. 

Image_1156.jpg

Image_1160.jpg