• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit vs. Not Genuine
1 1

5 posts in this topic

What's the difference or what determines the difference between these two attributions?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 6.01.45 PM.png

On 3/1/2024 at 6:10 PM, tj96 said:

What's the difference or what determines the difference between these two attributions?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 6.01.45 PM.png

There is a monumental difference! Watch...

Hey @Hoghead515 !  Guess what?  Here is a gen-u-wine counterfeit Henning (above left)! I don't know if it's been certified, but it's been slabbed!  They're out there!

At the risk of offending the sensibilities of some of the more temperamental types, rather than elaborate I am going to simply suggest that this subject is not all black and white. Numismatics should never yield to the temptation of issuing a blanket condemnation of any coin which fails to meet the standard of authenticity.  To me, there is a place in this hobby for "genuine counterfeits," counterfeit forgeries," and "contemporary counterfeits" as opposed to inartistic dreck. The publicity attendant to recognizing the '33 D.E. as an authorized legal issue was much ado about nothing. Every coin must be adjudged on the merits. There are some wonderful so-called Tribute coins out there that do not require a disclaimer. If a gold coin is rendered in 2 ozs. of pure silver, there is no reason to assume there is an intent to hoodwink or defraud others -- and require it be desecrated with the four-letter word, "COPY."  This is America! Here we have freedom of expression and artistic license. All who are inclined to agree, say Aye!

On 3/21/2024 at 10:31 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There is a monumental difference! Watch...

Hey @Hoghead515 !  Guess what?  Here is a gen-u-wine counterfeit Henning (above left)! I don't know if it's been certified, but it's been slabbed!  They're out there!

At the risk of offending the sensibilities of some of the more temperamental types, rather than elaborate I am going to simply suggest that this subject is not all black and white. Numismatics should never yield to the temptation of issuing a blanket condemnation of any coin which fails to meet the standard of authenticity.  To me, there is a place in this hobby for "genuine counterfeits," counterfeit forgeries," and "contemporary counterfeits" as opposed to inartistic dreck. The publicity attendant to recognizing the '33 D.E. as an authorized legal issue was much ado about nothing. Every coin must be adjudged on the merits. There are some wonderful so-called Tribute coins out there that do not require a disclaimer. If a gold coin is rendered in 2 ozs. of pure silver, there is no reason to assume there is an intent to hoodwink or defraud others -- and require it be desecrated with the four-letter word, "COPY."  This is America! Here we have freedom of expression and artistic license. All who are inclined to agree, say Aye!

Hey-  Why don't you go haunt another thread somewhere and stay off mine!!

image002.jpg.f2dfbf7d9ab52aa37b78c3430c86673b.jpg