• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this cent had a hard knock life (i.e. damage) or am I looking at a mint error?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Greetings, 

At first, I wondered if this 1946 Wheat Cent simply had a hard knock life (i.e. damaged). But when I zoomed in, I thought "am I looking at a mint error"?

I'm specifically referring to the flattening and shoved inward rim on the obverse. I'd liken it to a pie crust's pinched edges.

Before proceeding (or not) with an official submission I wanted to know - what are your thoughts?1946-wheat-penny-obv1.jpg.9700f95cf0f730c6cea5fe14fad53162.jpg1946-wheat-penny-obv4.jpg.12942128c1b900797f94f1d7c53abf9a.jpg1946-wheat-penny-obv3.jpg.58f1ef95485551f1578dc8af7dce8f37.jpg1946-wheat-penny-obv2.jpg.8684b6b42d125e8a81d94d2d0cbf591c.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

A quick look at the symptoms confirms your diagnosis: HKL, o/k/a PMD.  This coin is not much older than I am. I am very happy for you. You've got yourself a  copper Wheatie, joined up just a few hours ago, sought and got a second opinion and, in doing so, saved yourself a bundle of money. It doesn't get much better than that!

On 3/1/2024 at 10:59 AM, RWB said:

Yep. A coin with a musical written about it.

Oklahoma? West Side Story? Les Misérables? Cats?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/1/2024 at 1:51 PM, VKurtB said:

"Annie"

On 3/1/2024 at 1:51 PM, VKurtB said:

I was going to say "Cats" knowing how fond Roger is of our feline friends.  :baiting: (:

On 3/1/2024 at 11:06 AM, kannerjo said:

... when I zoomed in, I thought "am I looking at a mint error"?  I'm specifically referring to the flattening and shoved inward rim on the obverse. I'd liken it to a pie crust's pinched edges.

It's just damage.  Think about how that could have occured at the mint, and since that's not a realistic possibility it leaves damage as the likely cause.

Edited by EagleRJO

"It's the Hard Knock Life" from Annie.

It's the hard-knock life for us
'Stead of treated
We get tricked
'Stead of kisses
We get kicked
It's the hard-knock life

On 3/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, RWB said:

"It's the Hard Knock Life" from Annie.

'Stead of treated
We get tricked
'Stead of kisses
We get kicked
It's the hard-knock life

I'm just goofing around Roger.

Some may not have known but Jay-z sampled a piece of It's A Hard Knock Life from the musical Annie, music by Charles Strouse and lyrics by Martin Charnin, and worked it into one of his songs. I'll post the video in the watercooler if anyone is interested. Edited Version. 

On 3/1/2024 at 5:57 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Some may not have known but Jay-z sampled a piece of It's A Hard Knock Life from the musical Annie, music by Charles Strouse and lyrics by Martin Charnin, and worked it into one of his songs. I'll post the video in the watercooler if anyone is interested. Edited Version. 

:) Did not know that. Thanks.

Hello and welcome!

You figured correctly that the coin has suffered damage. The rims on the planchet are set during the upsetting process. There is no way during the actual strike that the rims could be folded in like that as that metal would be inside the strike details themselves and that metal would then be flattened out during the strike.

It is important when dealing with error coins to know the whole coining process and try to think if it could even be possible for something specific to have any possibility of happening during the strike.

Edited by powermad5000

On 3/1/2024 at 5:57 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I was not aware of that.  Thanks for making me a a better, more responsible and erudite citizen.  :roflmao: doh! :facepalm:

On 3/2/2024 at 9:15 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I was not aware of that.  Thanks for making me a a better, more responsible and erudite citizen.  :roflmao: doh! :facepalm:

The fact that you know nothing about Jay-Z is what makes you a virtuous citizen. I never know any musical guest on Saturday Night Live anymore, and I couldn’t be prouder.