• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial quarter error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So why is it that everybody on here tells me that my coin is worthless then tells me to go to a website that will show me that it's worthless and this is what I got so does anybody here know what they're talking about

Screenshot_20240301_091810_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_091835_eBay.jpg

On 3/1/2024 at 9:52 AM, Emmure said:

So why is it that everybody on here tells me that my coin is worthless then tells me to go to a website that will show me that it's worthless and this is what I got so does anybody here know what they're talking about

Post a clear, cropped, picture of the entire coin please.

Based on what I can see your coin does not appear to be a match to any of the DDO's listed by Wexler. It appears to be strike doubling but if better pics are posted I'll take another look.

Below is the image of WDDO-001 from https://doubleddie.com/1829488.html so that others can more clearly see what you are comparing your coin to.

image.jpeg.afd85f7dda021d6f42ab1dff916a46b3.jpeg

Yes, most people on this site know what they are talking about.   
The difference between your coin and the catalogue is that the catalogue    
shows a Doubled Die whereas your coin shows common Machine Doubling.

On 3/1/2024 at 7:52 AM, Emmure said:

Yes most everyone here can see the difference between your photo and the one you copied.   I will only do this once, here is your photo (cropped to remove most of the noise and background) and the photo supplied by @Fenntucky Mike.   I have circled two areas that I want you to focus on; a third one on the image Mike supplied which is cropped out in your photo.   And in case it is not clear to you, your photo is the top photo, I left one of your yellow arrows in your photo to make it easier to identify.

Notice how in those circles how in the image supplied by Mike how you see two separate serifs at the bottom of the I and at the top of the lower bar of the L.  These are split apart and there is a notch or space between each of the serifs, same for the corner of the L which is cropped out on your photo.   Now look at your photo, notice how in the circles how the serifs are not split but just a continuation of the letters on both the I and L.   

There are additional differences, however, if you are not able to see the differences shown in the areas that I circled in these two photos then you might as well stop looking as you will never be able to identify true hub doubling from the worthless machine doubling.

li.jpg

LI2.jpeg

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/1/2024 at 8:52 AM, Emmure said:

:facepalm:

On 3/1/2024 at 9:52 AM, Emmure said:

So why is it that everybody on here tells me that my coin is worthless then tells me to go to a website that will show me that it's worthless

Maybe to help you so you know how to identify these things yourself.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:52 AM, Emmure said:

so does anybody here know what they're talking about

With over probably 300 years of combined experience here, hmm, I guess maybe not then.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:50 PM, VKurtB said:

:facepalm:

[To my fellow members and members too new to fully appreciate this heiroglyph, allow me to offer an explanation:  up until this past month, I assiduously avoided this topic. Even with off-on-off contact with the hobby, I never felt the confidence that comes when coins and collecting have been front-and-center in your life, continually and continuously, for a half-century, and more.

Here, we have a member who has seen it all and heard it all. He once conceded, "I would rather be right, than nice."  Another seasoned veteran bolstered his excellent reply upthread with, ".... I will do this only once,...." It took me only a few weeks to realize many of us were repeating ourselves, ad infinitum ad nauseum. You have to have the right temperament for this.  Some do, some decidedly not. It was like watching "Groundhog Day," repeatedly, and inspired me to recently propose an inherently unfair moratorium on all queries regarding ERRORS by suggesting any coin older than 25 years from date of minting would be time-barred and exempt from analysis simply because entirely too much time was being spent explaining the same concept, over and over again.  I floated the idea of dedicating a topic solely to this issue, as a collaborative effort, and posting it at the head of this Forum. A suitable title might be, "Is my coin an ERROR?" The sad, sorry truth is searching for ERRORS a is not unlike looking for a needle in a haystack. It's possible, but highly unlikely. Recognizing true errors comes with repeated exposures and experience. Stick around and see for yourself.]

Posted at the discretion of Moderation.