• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

currency
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a  continental currency 1776 coin, ut I'mnot sure if I should get it appraised y NGC, please, I apreciated your feedback measure 38 diameter, weighs 14 grams 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Although it isn't possible to provide any opinion on your coin without your providing clear, cropped photos of each side of it, it is almost certainly one of the many thousands of worthless replicas of the 1776 dated Continental "dollar" sold in such places as gift and souvenir shops over the decades.  Someone just posted the same question about two of these replicas the other day. See the following topic:

If your piece looks like the ones whose photos are posted on this topic and not the genuine piece whose photos appear in the link that I provided to a page of the NGC Coin Explorer, you certainly wouldn't want to waste your money submitting it to NGC.

Edited by Sandon

We can't tell you that it's a replica of no value until you post pictures.

Hi, thanks for you support.

I share some pics of the coin, I really apreciate your coments about it.

Regards

20240229_195945 (2).jpg

20240229_195936 (1).jpg

IMG20240315215056.jpg

Upon further review of your coin IMO this is a counterfeit coin. This a commonly faked coin. This is a crudely made fantasy coin and not the real thing. These coins are very rare and valuable if genuine which yours is not. The design details of the devices are not even close. The lettering is wrong, and the coin is very vaguely weakly struck. When made the genuine coins were well struck in silver, brass and pewter. Cheers. 

The Continental Currency dollar coin (also known as Continental dollar coin, Fugio dollar, or Franklin dollar) was the first pattern coin struck for the United States. The coins, which were designed by Benjamin Franklin, were minted in 1776 and examples were made on pewter, brass, and silver planchets.1776 Continental Dollar : coins

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Welcome to the Chat Board

Agree with the above, just  a crude counterfeit with no value.   
Also NGC does not appraise coins, they grade them.

The coin you posted in the photos is a crudely made counterfeit, most likely one of the many cast replicas we see posted from time to time in the forums. You can see the small raised bumps which is associated with the casting of cheap pot metals. The details of this replica are worse than others with misshapen circular shapes and deformed lettering. The overall details are very mushy and lacking detail which is not due to wear.

This is a coin that does not need to be appraised as it has no value.