• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery roll from eBay for $20 was it worth it??
1 1

88 posts in this topic

On 2/29/2024 at 4:09 PM, Youngmoola said:

N btw the st gardens coin isn't a copy nor is it the regular coin it's a solid gold jumbo coin I've got from the mint n it weighs 3 ozs.. so understand wat u talking bout before u shoot shots my guy

Hmmm, a 3 ounce "jumbo st gardens" coin the op got direct from the mint, when a legit Saint Gaudens double eagle has an ounce of gold and was struck between 1907 and 1933.  Everyone knows real gold coins come from gardens, and someone put it in plastic so it's "certified".  You just can't make this stuff up, and I think we have the troll of the month winner.  (:

I think you should submit all you super valuable scores obtained from the very reliable eBay mystery rolls and absolutely legit jumbo coins dug up from gardens, as well as all the other super rare and valuable errors you have, to a grading company so you can rub it in our face. (:

On 2/29/2024 at 2:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think you should submit all you super valuable scores obtained from the very reliable eBay mystery rolls and absolutely legit jumbo coins dug up from gardens, as well as all the other super rare and valuable errors you have, to a grading company so you can rub it in our face. (:

Will the TPG's accept food stamps as payment, not sure this guy has any real money after he blew it all on his magical ebay lot.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:09 PM, Youngmoola said:

N btw the st gardens coin isn't a copy nor is it the regular coin it's a solid gold jumbo coin I've got from the mint n it weighs 3 ozs..

No, the large gold colored item lettered "St. Gaudens Double Eagle 1933" isn't a U.S Mint product, nor, based on the single photo provided, is it a coin of any nation. (A coin is issued by or on the authority of a government and has a stated legal tender value, whether or not it is intended to be used as money.)   Some private manufacturers of novelty or souvenir items like this use the word "mint" in their names and then place disclaimers of government affiliation in tiny print in their advertisements for products like these, which frequently appear in magazines and on television. It is doubtful that this novelty item is solid gold, and it likely contains only a thin surface plating of gold or no gold at all.  (If the coin did contain three troy ounces of pure gold, the value of the gold alone would currently be over $6,000.)

Private companies also "gold" plate or "colorize" coins and also offer them for sale as novelties or "collectors' items" Serious and knowledgeable collectors of U.S. coins generally have no interest in such items, and they usually have little or no resale value.

Do you have a current (2024, 2025 due out in April) edition of A Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly known as the "Redbook"? If you can't find an item offered for sale in that book, it is almost certainly not a legitimate U.S. Mint issue.  It is the first book recommended in the "Resources for New Collectors" topic to which I referred you on another topic. You can obtain a copy from its publisher at whitman.com or at many booksellers.

Edit: The photos added while I was typing the original item shows that it is a privately made novelty item, not a coin. If there is any representation that it contains any gold, it is on the edge. If it were gold, it certainly wouldn't have been offered in a $20 ebay lot!

Edited by Sandon

Come on Sandon, you are not buying into this as this guy doesn't need any help since he is super experienced and knows more than anyone here.  And that's not a cheap knock-off plated novelty coin, it's a super legit and valuable solid gold 3 ounce St Gaudens coin direct from the mint, since it's in plastic, that the op scored for only a couple of hundred dollars and is worth over $6k that he should submit for grading and keep in a safe deposit box.

I have a few legitimate questions.  What is a mystery roll?  How many coins does it accommodate?  Why would such a roll contain coins of different denominations (and sizes)?  Why would it contain certified coins that should never, under any circumstances, be permitted to come into contact with coins or hands at stellar grades?  I am unfamiliar with the St.-Gardens Double Eagle 1933 Tribute example. What mint minted those? If it were genuine, I seriously doubt you would debate the merits of a mystery roll, although I would be curious to know what coins comprised the rest of the roll.  I may have allowed myself to be PUNKED, but good, but your post was valuable because it raised many valid concerns and had the majority of viewers mulling things over. A bit cringe-worthy, but a good exercise.  (thumbsu

Yea, I must have gotten that completely wrong, and if it came from the American Mint instead of the US Mint then for sure that is not a cheap knock-off plated novelty coin worth less than the postage to mail it to you.  Those are all great scores you made out like a bandit on that you should submit, along with all the other super rare and valuable proof and error coins you have been posting, so you can rub it in our faces.  I stand in awe of your knowledge and experience, and wish you would stick around so just a smattering of that excellence can rub off on me.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:27 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yea, I must have gotten that completely wrong, and if it came from the American Mint instead of the US Mint then for sure that is not a cheap knock-off plated novelty coin worth less than the postage to mail it to you.  Those are all great scores you made out like a bandit on that you should submit, along with all the other super rare and valuable proof and error coins you have been posting, so you can rub it in our faces.  I stand in awe of your knowledge and experience, and wish you would stick around so just a smattering of that excellence can rub off on me.

hm Not sure I would want anything this guy has rubbing off on me, just saying.

On 2/29/2024 at 5:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

hm Not sure I would want anything this guy has rubbing off on me, just saying.

Yea, I didn't really think that one through.  (:

On 2/29/2024 at 5:32 PM, Youngmoola said:

It was a mystery bag full of older pennies n gem proofs...they all on eBay go n bid maybe someone will score I wanna see ppl win on no hater...happy hunting...

TIME OUT!  TIME OUT!

Gross misrepresentation!

A "roll," as that term is commonly used by coin collectors, is a roll.  A "bag" is a bag.

(Rolls come in boxes; bags come in crates.)

On 2/29/2024 at 5:42 PM, Henri Charriere said:

A "roll," as that term is commonly used by coin collectors, is a roll.  A "bag" is a bag.

Come on, everyone knows that bags of rolls from eBay/Etsy is where you score all these super rare and valuable coins the op has, and that it's certified if it comes in plastic.  What, did you have a brain fart or something.  :whistle:

On 2/29/2024 at 4:26 PM, EagleRJO said:

....You just can't make this stuff up, and I think we have the troll of the month winner.  (:

Blast from the Past!

🐓  :  You jealous?

Q.A.:  Well, they do say it takes one to know one... in case Dena is watching, let's just say, nostalgically-speaking, I am in awe and not a bit envious.  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:

On 2/29/2024 at 2:42 PM, Youngmoola said:

I'm not thirsty for money I actually enjoy collecting...I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth....

Shouldn't have swallowed it. That might explain some things.

On 2/29/2024 at 3:51 PM, Youngmoola said:

@JKK U got 1 mo time to disrespect me

No real need. You do it to yourself. But in case you want it spelled out, I definitely do not respect you.

I apologize to the coin community but as you all can see this guy suppose to be a grown man n he's acting childish n being disrespectful...me being the bigger man I'm a apologize n just ignore such foolery but to all who gave an honest opinion or feedback I truly appreciate it...

On 2/29/2024 at 7:14 PM, Youngmoola said:

to all who gave an honest opinion or feedback I truly appreciate it

JKK was giving you an honest opinion and feedback.

Posted (edited)

I understand I'm a new collector but bruising my ego not gone run me away maybe the next person it will but I'm in dis to the end n I'm going to learn all I can about coins cause I'm really passionate about them, ive been collecting for years n got sum handed down to me so the ones I'm showing are absolutely questionable but for the record I have sum gems dats not meant for every eye to see

Edited by Youngmoola

On 2/29/2024 at 7:08 PM, Youngmoola said:

@JKK I don't respect u neither ..I'll kick on yo head if I ever see you in real life n smack u u  racist  

You are not going to last long here to troll people with comments like that.